Followers

Sunday, September 20, 2026

"They Say That All Good Things Must End........Someday! Autumn Leaves Must Fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                            "One last caress/It's time to dress/For Fall."                                                                                                          --Michel LeGrand, "Summer Of '42."



                                  Yes, girls, it is the last day of Summer.  Proserpina is packed and ready to go tomorrow.



                                     This is always a sad time for me.  The days grow shorter, darkness lasts longer than day, and we are forced to spend more time indoors.  Autumn and Winter seem the longest six months, while Spring and Summer seem so short.



                                      Starting tomorrow Summer Of 2026 will be history.  So, enjoy this day while it lasts.



                                        We had some magical moments during this Summer.  I started my film project, we saw, on Broadway, "Two Strangers (Carry A Cake Across New York)," which I loved, "The Rocky Horror Show," which was so much fun, "Hadestown," which was disappointing, and "Ragtime" which unexpectedly impressed the hell out of me.  Concerning the aforementioned film project, we saw a lot of cinematic gems, like "Oliver!,"  "Citizen Kane," "The Third Man," "Brief Encounter," "Leave Her To Heaven," "Wild Inside","(the documentary about Flaco, The Owl), "White Nights" (an early work of Luchino Visconti) "2001:  A Space Odyssey," Disney's 1951 cartoon "Alice In Wonderland," (my favorite), and Louis Malle's "Elevator To The Gallows."


                                        Need I forget--we saw "Disclosure Day," which we were not crazy about, and "Paranormal Activity," on Broadway, which we hated!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                         As far as trips, we stayed some nights in the city at The Algonquin, which is still awaiting a new Hamlet, and we made a visit to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, which was lovely.



                                         We also made an emotionally charged trip to New Brunswick, New Jersey, just across the river from my hometown of Highland Park.  The purpose was not to visit the town, but to visit the graves of my parents, so I could read over them the last paragraph of Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights."  It was done, after an eight year wait, and it was an emotional time for me.  Floods of memories kept coming back and the What If question, being what if I had stayed in the area, rather than go to New York.  In retrospect, I am not sure I would have been happy, and the city had always been beckoning me from an early age.  Speaking of memories, we had dinner with a former high school friend of mine, Neil, who still lives in Highland Park.



                                              There was also a commemoration party at The Actors' Temple, saluting Rabbi Jill's twenty years of service to the temple, and a celebratory party at David's former boss, Nadine, on Long Island, which was lovely, and with lovely people, including that live wire, Marcel!!!!!!!!!



                                                So, while we did not travel, it was a pretty active Summer.  I wish all of you a pleasant Fall and Winter, with good things abounding.



                                                 Soon, darlings, those falling leaves will drift past our windowpane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                   

No comments: