Followers

Sunday, September 20, 2026

I Am Embarassed To Say This Was David's Alternate Choice To "Svengoolie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                Girls, I mean, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  With all the quality cinema in this house, and David chooses this?  I am just thankful he did not choose something like "Revenge Of The Nerds!!!!!!!!!!!!"



                                  I am very familiar with "The Baby," even though I have not seen it in about ten years.  I first saw it accidentally on Channel 9, sometime in my twenties, when I was out of college, but still living at home.  It had Ruth Roman, whom I love as an actress, and was so bizarre, well, I had never seen anything like it.


                                   In 2013, 40 years after the film was made, some Fringe Festival in California attempted a musical version of it, and boy would I like to have seen that.  If done today, Tyne Daly, now butch as all get out, could play the Ruth Roman role!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Or maybe Nathan Lane!  I always confuse the two!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    To think the film was made the year I graduated high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    How to explain "The Baby."  I wonder if David Lynch had ever seen this film, because it was before "Eraserhead," and while lacking in his artistry, was not far from his cinematic territory.  I would not be surprised if he had seen this film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      Anjanette Comer, who died on May 26 of this year, at the age of 86, plays Ann Gentry, a dedicated social worker in Los Angeles, assigned to the Wadsworth case, in which a family, consisting of a mother, Mrs. Wadsworth, played by Ruth Roman, who is so butch she would be welcome at any lesbian bar on Saturday night, and her two daughters, Germaine (Marianna Hill) and Alba (Suzanne Zenor), and Baby a grown man kept as an infant.  At first, Ann takes a genuine interest int the case, and this gradually turns to obsession, the reason for which is the movie's plot twist which I will not reveal here.


                                      I can say that the movie is both campy and disturbing.  The abuse scenes of Baby were upsetting and repugnant to watch, and the dynamics of the Wadsworth brings new meaning to the word dysfunctional. There is even incest and adult breast feeding!  I mean, can you imagine?


                                       Granted it is better than "The Ghost And Mr. Chicken," but trust me, girls, next week we will watch a real gem.  And Baby Gojira will have something to say about it.


                                          Speaking of babies, Baby Gojira is his own independent reptile!  This house answers to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                            But we are not nearly as crazy as those in "The Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                            What would "Ozzie And Harriet" say???????????????????  


                                             One more thing.  David Manzy, who played Baby, eventually became a high school English teacher in California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              I hope he taught AP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              


                                         

No comments: