Followers

Friday, March 10, 2023

Darlings, Everyone Here Is Excited About The Panther Woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     I am even more excited, girls, that "Svengoolie" is showing a real gem tomorrow night, which you must join us for at eight--Paramount's 1932 film, "Island Of Lost Souls."



                                      This was a daring, for its time, film version of H.G. Wells' novel "The Island Of Dr. Moreau."  Charles Laughton plays the title character brilliantly, trying to convert animals into humans.  I am surprised this got past the censors, since it borders on cloning, which is judged by some, like the Catholic Church, immoral.  Same with stem cell research.  I wonder why no one said anything in 1932????????  Maybe this was way over audiences' heads.



                                       Now, though Laughton is in it, his wife, Elsa Lanchester, is not.  I guess that would have been too much animal conversion.



                                        The real scene stealer here is Kathleen Burke, a 19-year-old making her screen debut as Lota, The Panther Woman.  She really is, because her mother was an actual panther.  She is highly regarded as Moreau's "most perfect creation."   This would be the perfect place to reference putting a panther in your tank, but, no, I am not going to go there.



                                           I haven't seen this film since I was a child and cannot wait to see it again.  I used to want to be The Panther Woman.  Now, I would just like to get appointments ASAP.



                                          Don't be a lost soul, darlings!  Join us tomorrow night, for some fun!!!!!!!!!

                                See this werewolf-like figure?  Would you believe that is Bela Lugosi??????????

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Why does the Catholic Church get so upset about stem cell research, do you think??
I was raised Lutheran, and I don’t remember any controversy about such things
Of course, I hated church back then and was more likely to be daydreaming than paying attention!!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I still sometimes nod off during the sermons,
especially if the topic angers me.

The Catholic Church is overly hung up on sex and
reproduction. Did you ever see the 1987 movie
"The Rosary Murders?" Not only a clever mystery but
a lesson in what is wrong with the church and what it needs to
change. Donald Sutherland plays the lead role of Father Koessler.
It is free on YouTube.