Followers

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

"They Call Us Babes In Arms, But We Are Babes In Armor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                       Now, darlings, you know I will always be a babe in arms.  And, of course, I would love to do the stage show.



                                        Can you imagine, according to The Internet Broadway Data Base, there has not been a Broadway revival of this 1937 classic?  As I have said, Harold Prince should have retained his 'Merrily' cast and simply staged a revival of this show.  Ann Morrison and Lonny Price would have done for it on stage, what Rooney and Garland did for it on screen, in 1939.



                                           Because of that film--Garland's firs, right after 'Oz,' and with Margaret Hamilton, to boot! --it has become the gold standard for the piece.  Who could blame anyone, with this talented bunch?  But wouldn't it be fun to see a fresh group of youngsters do this on stage.  And I mean fresh faced, not some kind of woke update!  God, doesn't that make one sick?



                                              To get an idea of how this might play out, here are some clips.

                                Here is the trailer for the film!
                              And here is Judy Garland, singing my favorite song from the Rodgers And Hart score, "Where Or When?" Wouldn't you just love to see this on stage?



                                Harold Prince found his 'Merrily' cast.  I am sure the talent is out there somewhere..



                                Give it a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

The Talent is right here!!
You, me, my Fabulous niece...

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I agree. "Places for Act One!"