Followers

Friday, March 24, 2023

"KONGA" Did Not Deserve What He Got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                      Girls, I first saw this film on a black-and-white set, when I was a child, so I had no idea it had been shot in color.  At first, I thought it had been colorized.




                       But no, the film was in color, which made it look even worse than it did.  If video tapes had existed, I am sure Michael Gough and Margo Johns would have sent this film to Edward Albee, suggesting themselves as contestants for the roles of George and Martha in his forthcoming play, "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?"  In your dreams, dears, as the acting was not up to any standard.  Konga actually gave the best performance in the film.



                        What I object to the film, and what makes it sad for me, is that Konga was a cute chimpanzee who was entrapped and exploited.  When he turned giant ape, Charles Decker and his assistant, Margaret, got exactly what they deserved.  But the ending of this film I could not watch, so I left the room.  Here is what I recall.



                        Konga reaches Big Ben in London, carrying Michael Gough in his hand.  The chimes ring out, and for some reason that does not make sense, Konga begins to grow smaller and smaller.  The last shot is the dead body of Michael Gough, next to a dead cute little chimpanzee.  This really upset me as a kid, and I was not about to go through it again.



                          Seeing how awful a film it is--mean spirited, and exploitative-- I do not think "Svengoolie" should show "KONGA" again.



                          And while we are on the subject of "Svengoolie," I want to say I don't think his extra half- hour format is working.  Go back to two hours, because the extra half hour drags.



                            Besides, we miss "Sventoonie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"



                      

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I have always felt sorry for Misunderstood Monsters

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
So have I! Konga should have been left alone.
He could have been used for good, not evil.
And that last shot is SO sad!