Followers

Friday, March 17, 2023

Girls, Join Us Tomorrow Evening, As "Svengoolie" Presents "KONGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                 When this film first came out, in 1961--playing at the Rivoli Theater in New Brunswick; where else? --I was all of six years old and had not even seen "King Kong" yet.  I knew the older film was about a giant gorilla, but that is it.  And, for some reason I mispronounced this film as "KONGO!," at first.  And thought it was some "King Kong" redo.  But it really is not.



                                     I want to warn you, darlings, this is a very sad film.  The sadness does not really come till the end; all I will say is to keep your eye on Margo Johns as Dr. Decker's (Michael Gough) assistant, Margaret!  Just like Blanche was the real villain in 'Baby Jane.....' but that's all I can say.



                                       For those more sensitive viewers there is a moment near the end, where, if you wish to turn it off, go ahead.  Just like when Kong puts Fay Wray down on the Empire State Building, I switch my set off.



                                        It will be interesting to see what readers think of this film.  I don't kknow how Svengoolie can show two such upsetting films, unless he wants to drive audiences into therapy.  Hey, it's not like it could not help!



                                         So, watch "KONGA!" with my cautious warning.



                                         And cheer up!  I happen to know that next week, Svengoolie is planning to show a favorite I have often discussed on here, along with its leading lady!!!!!!!!!  It is a guaranteed hoot, and sure to make one forget the last two weeks!



                                          See you all tomorrow, at eight, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                     

2 comments:

Victoria said...

May Cause Clinical Depression

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Indeed! When Konga broke out of the building,
I left the room. David had never seen it, so
he watched the rest.