Followers

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Can Beanie Play BARBRA??????????????????????????????


                                          Even more than Governor Cuomo's resignation, Theater Queens all over the world were rocked by the news that Beanie Feldstein, Jonah Hill's sister, will play Fanny Brice in the alleged (it has not  happened yet,  dolls!) 2022 revival of "Funny Girl."  Will  it play the Winter Garden????????????



                                           You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Beanie Feldstein???????????  And no one even called, about seeing ME?   I have had my eye on this role since  I was  nine years old, and  I have the belting chops to do  it.



                                             Which makes me wonder about Beanie, who is facing two musical gigs.  Along with "Funny Girl," she is Mary Flynn in the film  version of "Merrily We Roll Along," which is being shot over a period of  twenty years,  to make  the age-youth thing realistic.  Hope I live long enough to see it, because, I can tell you right now, short of a miracle, Sondheim sure won't!!!!!!!!!  I am not sure Beanie is  any Ann Morrison, but BARBRA??????????????   BARBRA??????????????????



                                                  Beanie, don't you realize what you are in for?  THE most  iconic  role  in musical theater, with its originator still  alive????????????  The eyes of Theater Queens of  the world on  you, and  if  you do  just  ONE thing that is off  the way they feel it should be done--that is,  like BARBRA--you are going to get crucified?  Much as I want the job, I would be hesitant to take it.



                                                    Harvey Fierstein is tinkering with the book, so God  knows what score we will get! Will it  be the  original, or a hybrid of  the play and movie????????????????????



                                                     Sure, Beanie is playing Fanny Brice, but she is also playing  BARBRA, because "Funny Girl" is almost the same story as BARBRA"S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And one needs a BARBRA level performer in the role.



                                                       And I am not sure that is Beanie.  She can carry a tune, but where is the power, and the distinction?  I heard her on "Meadowlark," and let me tell  you,  she did NOT have the voice for  it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, how can she be expected to  do  "Funny Girl?"



                                                         On a stage, with lighting Jessie Mueller could nail it with no  trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                          Or, maybe, Beanie will surprise us?



                                                          Please?????????????????????????????



4 comments:

Victoria said...

hmm I’m certainly aware of Beanie, but to be honest the only role I can recall is Minnie in Hello Dolly.
Oh and didn’t she portray Monica Lewinsky in something?

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Yes, she did. I have no doubt
Beanie can act. She was very good
in "Ladybird." But I really don't
think she can handle the vocals, in
"Funny Girl."

I certainly hope the health situation
is better by then. No matter how it
turn out, I have GOT to see this!!!!!!!!!!!

MartyO49 said...

Nope!

The Raving Queen said...

MartyO49,

I agree with you.
And, at this point, it may
not happen!