Followers

Saturday, September 5, 2026

"On A Picnic Morning, Without A Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

 


                                          Yes, darlings, it is that sad time of year--Labor Day, which is called the unofficial end of Summer, but for all intents and purposes is.  When I was growing up in New Jersey, the tradition, on Labor Day Saturday, was for ABC to show, on its late movie, the 1955 film version of William Inge's play, "Picnic."


                                           This is the one with Kim Novak in her pink gown, William Holden a little long in the tooth, Betty Field being controlling, and Susan Strasbeerg and Rosalind Russell being hysterical.  Oh, and Aruthur O' Connell being sedate, which netted him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor of 1955.


                                             Girls, it is so Fifties, but that is why we love it.  And William Holden going shirtless back then was pretty provocative.  And when he and Kim Novak dance to "Moonglow......." wow!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                               Alas that was then.  Anyone who wants to see "Picnic" had best order a DVD of it, because I am certain by now it is pretty much a forgotten movie.


                                                 So, preserve those Labor Day memories by watching this classic.


                                                  To add to it, I will try to provide the McGuire Sisters' song.

                                                  Here it is, girls!  Happy Labor Day and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

You’re the only other person I know who has read & adored Susan’s book Bittersweet!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria, It remains one of the best memoirs ever written. She really had a rough time. And she died so young, at 60!