Followers

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

It's TONY Awards Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                         My God, here it is Wednesday, and I have to start thinking about what gown I am going to wear!  I haven't even got a designer, yet--maybe I should call ANNA--but one thing for sure, I will be better dressed than that Diane Paulus, if she decides to show up.  If she does, it will be like Maleficent, the uninvited fairy in "Sleeping Beauty." But, let's face it, dolls, the TONY Awards Telecast is a Festival Of Uninvited Fairies!!!!!!!!!!!!

                           What fascinates me more, though, is how, no matter the age, once a person becomes a member of the TONY Nominating Committee, they adopt an Old Codger Mentality.  This means, for example, that the TONY for Best Musical, which should go to the innovative, groundbreaking "Fun Home" (I mean, just listen to the Keenan-Bolgers!) instead of what is going to win--the very mainstream, establishment "An American In Paris."

                           Now, I have no problem with the material.  Gershwin and great dance make for a perfect theater evening. But, it is not ORIGINAL.  It is already renowned as a classic MGM musical, which, inexplicably, had the temerity to beat out both "A Streetcar Named Desire," and "A Place In The Sun," for Best Picture, back in 1951.  Maybe they cancelled each other out.

                             Which is what I think Kelli O'Hara and Kristin Chenoweth will do, paving the way for CHITA (Rivera!) to win the TONY for Best Actress In A Musical, even though that show is struggling at the box office, and has not exactly been....lauded.  But not to worry.  "On The Twentieth Century" should take the Best Musical Revival, since this is the first production in 37 years!!!!!!!!!!!
Will history repeat itself, with Andy Karl winning for the Kevin Kline role?  I doubt it.

                                 As for the plays, I could not begin to tell you, though I would love to see "Hand To God" win.  I think Steve Boyer will win for it, rather than the play itself.

                                  And let's hope we get a song or two out of Jessie Mueller on the telecast!!!!!!!!!!

                                  See you on the red carpet, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: