Followers

Sunday, September 8, 2024

"Bop! Bop! Bop The Beetle! Hit! Hit! Hit It Right!"


                               .... Because, darlings, "When you feed the frog/Its mouth shuts tight!"



                               I never owned this Ideal game from 1962, but it was advertised enough that I can still remember its jingle.  My goodness, the tendency to interaction in children's games--this was a foreshadowing of Ideal's wildly successful "Mouse Trap," and Matel's equally popular "Bats In The Belfry."  The latter two I owned, and with plastic sticks and claws there was so much potential for players to go outside the boundaries of the game, and resort to violence, which they did.  Which I can attest to. Milton Bradley did the same thing with "BASH!"



                              Today's games, which I have no use for, are more interactive, and technologically challenging.  The violence is inflicted on the screen, not at each other, but I have to wonder--is this any better?  My peer group might have fooled around with game equipment, but it did not lead us into becoming mass school shooters, like the kids today.  The constant emphasis on violence thanks to video games, I am telling you, has something to do with the youthful upsurge of violence in our nation.



                                  Are there any peaceful video games out there?  Those in the know, feel free to tell me.



                                As for me, I will stick to games of yore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 


2 comments:

Victoria said...

you will be pleased to know that there are, many, MANY nonviolent, wholesome, and FUN video games available for children and teens!!!
I have played some with my grandchildren!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria, That is reassuring, coming from you. By the way Saturday was Grandparents Day, so a happy one to you and your husband. And yesterday
was Mary's--THE Mary--birthday!