Followers

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Darlings, When It Comes Right Down To It, No One Does Amanda Plummer Like Amanda Plummer!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              
                                           With all the madness that is moving going on, I  cannot recall where I am sometimes.  But, since I was staring at a high definition television screen when I was watching the 'SVU' episode, entitled, "Weak," I know I was at Monsieur's place. As soon as Amanda Plummer's name appeared on the guest roster list, I knew it was going to be something special.

                                               And, when, a third of the way into the story, a tussle of faceless humanity, heaving convulsively and muttering incoherent gibberish, entered the precinct, almost on cue Monsieur and I both cried out, "There she is!"  And sure enough, when the face appeared on camera, it was Amanda Plummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                  Darlings, ever since her career making start as the wall climbing nun in the original Broadway production of "Agnes Of God" (which I was privileged to witness, and for which she won a TONY Award) whenever you need a quirky, spasmodic, out of control sort, you call Amanda Plummer.  Who could forget her opening scene in "Pulp Fiction", one of the best moments in what I still consider a much overrated movie??????  And how about the fight with her neighbor over the dog in the movie version of Stephen King's "Needful Things?"  You can see that one on YouTube, darlings!!!!!!!!  Again, the best moment out of what is an otherwise atrocious film.

                                                      On the episode "Weak," Amanda played Miranda Cole, a schizophrenic who had been raped.  Except she couldn't distinguish between that and being attacked by terrorists. She was fixated on terrorist attacks and scientific principles related to thereof.  And it ends tragically with her death. But, Amanda went on to win an Emmy for this performance, so her  quirkiness does pay off.

                                                          Several years ago, I had the pleasure, at Paper Mill Playhouse, of
seeing Amanda at her least quirky, in a role that is one of my favorites--Miss Alma Winemiller, in Tennessee Williams' "Summer And Smoke."  One of the best interpretations of that character I have seen.

                                                            But, girls, no one loves Amanda more than when she is at her most... Amanda!!!!!!!!!  I can tell you, I am looking forward to her next endeavor!

                                                              And we cannot wait until tomorrow's episode, featuring Martha Stewart as a school headmistress!  It is going to be a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: