Followers

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Girls, I Am Telling You, I Had Tears In My Eyes!!!!!!!!!

                                    OK, darlings, I have JUST seen the official trailer for the film version of "Les Miserables."  And I have to admit Anne Hathaway couldn't look more Fantine than the role requires.  I also got to hear a fully mastered and mixed excerpt of "I Dreamed A Dream" (which is  used throughout the trailer) and I can say with honesty it caused tears to well up in my eyes.  As it should. Anne should be the
Fantine for which we have been hoping.

                                      To say I was impressed was an understatement. Not only did I hear a voice, but I heard vulnerability and emotional desperation, which is how the role of Fantine must be played.  Not like some belter taking center stage and saying, "Here, this is MY big number." Which is how some have approached it.

                                       But, from what I have seen, that is not Anne.  Remember, Fantine is to this show what Julie is to "Show Boat." They are both tragic figures who are not around much, but, when they are, they make their moments, especially the musical ones, count.  And when they are not onstage or screen, their presence hangs over the rest of the stories and characters spectrally.

                                         I still would have loved a crack at the role, but my time will come, girls; have no doubt!  And I even saw a little bit of evidence that the director, Tom Hooper, understands the musical form.
It involves a certain choreographic and edited sequence by a group of prostitutes.

                                          Do I keep my promises to my girls?  I told you I would report on this, as soon as I knew anything.  Now, I want all my girls to look at the trailer and listen to the mixing and music of Anne's voice!   You will go out and but tickets for this immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             And when I do Fantine, darlings, which, at some point will be onstage, all my girls will get comps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: