Followers

Monday, May 14, 2012

A Sunday Like No Other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                     
                                   Darlings, first of all, let me tell you, I am  emotionally exhausted!!!!!!!!!!!  Yesterday found Monsieur and I, aided and abetted by Auntie Alvin (with a shining new set of top teeth, and a dashing black outfit) heading out to Hopatcong, New Jersey, where I can tell you, none of us would have planned going to ourselves.  We were there to support the Frankels, Marilyn and Len, who lost their middle child, Susan, this past week.

                                  As I later said to Monsieur, I knew we would be doing this eventually; I did not think it would be this soon.  Susan, who battled stage four lung cancer, had a wonderful support system of family and friends, plus a doctor who was able to buy for her more time than might be expected.  So much so I really thought we would be doing this (and I writing about it) next year, rather than now.  Alas.

                                The tributes and testimonials from people were very moving, most especially from Susan's younger sister, Halie  (pronounced like Hayley Mills!!!!!).  The most moving moment came when her mother, Marilyn, quoted Susan, days before her death, stating to her mother, "This isn't the way it is supposed to be.  I should be taking care of you."  Alas.

                                  My tears were for Susan and the Frankel family.  Susan was their middle child, but she was also a true Child Of Nature, a free spirit, who lived life her own way, earning respect by all for the fact that she did.  She loved children, and nature; her several acres of property and working on it was apparently a favorite activity of Susan's, one she truly cherished.

                                    I am so sorry I did not know Susan as well as some of these others.  And yet, in some ways, I felt I did.  Susan's quest for freedom I could relate to, in following mine.  And the positivism and courage in how she met her situation was one I could only admire and draw inspiration from.

                                     Not a second passed when visiting or talking to the Frankels that we (Monsieur and I) did not think of/ask about/mention Susan.  Now, I suppose we will talk about her in memory.

                                     As cliche ridden as it sounds, the world was richer for Susan's presence in it, and her presence in each of our lives.  She will live on in the hearts and minds of all who were there yesterday.
She is still, to a degree, giving inspiration.

                                       It was a Mother's Day not to be forgotten.

No comments: