Followers

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Girls, There Is Not Much Mystery About 'Edwin Drood!!!!!!!!!!'


                                        With Roundabout set to do a revival of this not favorite musical  show of mine (which I saw originally, albeit late in the run, and it did nothing for me!!!!!!), featuring the great Jessie Mueller as Helena Landless (which, now that I have read it, I know what that means!!), and with my great love of Dickens, I thought it high time I read this novel, one of the few in the Dickens canon I have left.

                                            Honey, let me say, if this novel did not have the name Charles Dickens on it,, I doubt we would be reading it today.  And no one would have even attempted to make what is at best a mediocre musical out of it.

                                              But I am getting ahead of myself.  When Dickens set about writing this novel, he was headed in a new and darker direction. Judging by the word "mystery" in its title, I think he was influenced by his very good friend, Wilkie Collins, and was trying to write something along the lines of Collins' work.  I could only wish that Collins had written this, because, denouement or not, it would have been better.  This novel keeps one going because of its associations with scholarly (his last work) and musical theater history, not because it so compelling.  It isn't.

                                               It's pretty simple. A group of characters gather in the town of Cloisterham--some at Nun's House, run by Miss Twinkleton (the role I want to play, darlings!!!!), others strewn about. Then there is Princess Puffett, who pops in and out, from London.  One Christmas Eve, 1860, John Jasper invites his nephew, Edwin Drood, and companion, Neville Landless (Helena's brother) to dinner.  The next day, Drood is missing, with only several personal items of his found near a river.  Is he dead?  Missing? Or what? And who is responsible???????????

                                                 Now, maybe pre-"Investigation Discovery" and such, this was intriguing.  Especially as the novel was never completed. But I can tell  you for certain who did in Edwin Drood, and how; Dickens puts it all there, he just never got a chance to admit it.  I will not reveal that to my girls, though, in case any are curious!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                   The musical had two gimmicks.  Audiences were greeted by the performers, in costume and character, as though attending a British Music Hall. And, at the end of the evening, one got to vote on who one thought killed Edwin.  Except it is no contest, if one has read the novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                      I would say only the hardest core Dickens aficionado, like moi, should read this.  If you are just looking for a standard exposure to the great author, stick to "David Copperfield," "Oliver Twist," and "Great Expectations!"

                                                       Miss Havisham, I am telling you, would have been appalled, had she read this!!!!!!!!!!  She wouldn't consider it much of a mystery, either.  That old bag was not to be fooled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                           And neither are my girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: