Followers

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Girls, We Got A Good Dose Of BARBRA This Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!


                              Darlings, I am telling you, I was never more in touch with my Inner BARBRA than this weekend, when Monsieur and I had a chance to kick back and listen to this classic, not only to hear her at her earliest, but to get some ideas for the act I am putting together called "Getting In Touch With My Inner BARBRA." Having "I'm All Smiles," and ""She Touched Me" on the roster, I wanted to see if there was anything else I might include.

                                Well, this collection was so extraordinary it told me more what NOT to include.
I was always intrigued by her rendition of "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?" but after listening closely, I decided I would be a fool to attempt it.  Even more so are the tracks she does of "Cry Me A River,"  "Happy Days Are Here Again," and, oh, my God, "A Sleepin' Bee."

                                 If you have never heard BARBRA do this, you must.  And once having heard it no one would attempt it. It would be like someone other than Judy Garland doing "Over The Rainbow."  Only someone with BARBRA's chutzpah has done that, but, then, she worked with Garland, and, before she did it, she did pay respectful tribute to her.  Now, Diahann Carroll may have originated "A Sleepin' Bee" (which is from the Truman Capote, Harold Arlen musical, "House Of Flowers"), but once you hear BARBRA it is like, "Diahann who?????????"  And I love Diahann Carroll, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 So, to reassure some, and maybe disappoint others, no, I will NOT be doing "A Sleepin' Bee" in my act!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Even better than the above album, was this one, "A Happening In Central Park."  Several years ago, when Rufus Wainwright had the temerity to recreate Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall concert--at Carnegie Hall!!!!!!! And people went!!!!!!!!--I toyed with the idea of doing the same with this one summer.   The selections are more interesting--lots of recognizable show tunes and references--with two of the selections, "She Touched Me," and "Second Hand Rose" being perfect for me.  The latter is as far as I go with the Fanny Brice/"Funny Girl" thing.  I know people have been after me to do "My Man," but, if I did that, I might as well do another show, where I just sing the score of "Funny Girl."  Though if this 'Inner BARBRA" thing takes off, in any way, I may have to do it. So I will keep it on the back burner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But this concert album--her first live one--is pure gold, and the cover is classic album cover art!!!!!!!!! You should have this in your listening collection, and hanging on your wall, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Poor Monsieur.  I think he is going to start calling or hanging out with James Brolin!!!!!!  "Must it be all BARBRA all the time?" he asks????????? Isn't that cute, lambs??????? "Think what James has to go through,"  I told him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think he is starting to relate. But, I mean, when the Inner BARBRA voices forth, what can one do, but give in?????????  Darlings, I am completely powerless in the face of my Inner BARBRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     I think all my girls need at least one BARBRA Weekend in their lifetimes!!!!!!!! So, grab these two selections and kick back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You will be transported to some glory days!!!!!!!!!!

                                        From Second Avenue, darlings!!!!!!!!!!  Nu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    

No comments: