Followers

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

If Glenn Close Says Today, She Would Approach "Fatal Attraction" Differently, How About Jennifer Jason Leigh As Hedra Carlson???????????????????


                      Two of filmdom's  most fantastic psycho bitches, whom we just love, darlings, are Glenn Close, as Alex Forrest, in 1987's "Fatal Attraction," and Jennifer Jason Leigh's disturbing turn, five years later, in 1992, as Hedra Carlson, in "Single White Female."

                      This is my favorite still from "Fatal Attraction," because it is the moment that got to me, in two ways.  It was when I felt genuinely sorry for Alex, and when I also realized she was nuts.  Now, you have to understand, at the time of this film's release, I was 32, and beginning to view myself as a Terminal Spinster, who would age into someone like Miss Lucretia Collins in Tennessee Williams' "Portrait Of A Madonna."  This film did nothing to assuage my fears.  Being at home on a night, when everyone is out having fun, I can understand going catatonic, and clicking the light compulsively on and off, without any awareness.   I have been there, myself, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!

                         However, when the camera pans over to the two tickets to the MET to see "Madame Butterfly," on the lamp table, that is when I realized Alex was nuts. With what opera tickets cost then--forget NOW--it was a sin to leave them go.  She should have turned them in for others to use, or gone to it with someone else.  That is what I would have done.  Pass up on entertainment because some sleaze stands me up?????????  Fuck that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                           Which proved to me, then, that Alex was nuts, and I was not.

                             Twenty seven years later, Glenn Close is saying that were she given the role today--not that she is glamorous enough now to do what she did almost 30 years ago--she would approach both the story, and the script differently.  Well, Glenn, hon, so would any actor today, because mental health treatment has changed in the intervening years.  I mean, if Olivia De Havilland were to step out of retirement, and play in "The Snake Pit," do you think it would be the same?????  I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              I also hope, were the story treated today, the ending would be clearer; ie; that Alex would kill herself, but sleaze bucket Dan would lose his wife and daughter for the scumbag job he did to them, putting their completely innocent lives at risk.   MY version of "Fatal Attraction" would end with Ann Archer kicking Douglas out of the house, but not before she takes a pliers and genitally mutilates him, showing his screaming agony, so he can never have sex again!!!!!!!!!!!  That is what the shit deserved first time out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               Right now, there is a stage version of the film playing in London, written and revised by original writer, James Dearden, from whose short film, "Deception," the film was adapted.  I wonder what changes have been made, if it will be brought over here, and who will be cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  It could be, if done well, the greatest theatrical litmus test, since David Mamet's "Oleanna."
   

                                  Now, let us talk about Jennifer Jason Leigh, as Hedra Carlson, whom she immortalized in the 1992 film "Single White Female."  As a still spinster in my late Thirties, Hedra tapped into my fear that if I were to remain such, I would end up like this,  When in fact, Hedra was very much like Niles Perry, in "The Other."  Both had lost their twin siblings in horrible accidents, and were traumatically bereft. But, where Niles sought to replicate only his twin, Hedra chose to replicate, not so much her own sister, but the type of relationship she had with her, which, from the opening sequence, when they are seen playing in the bathroom, is one of dependence.  Judy, the dominant twin, who died, took care of Ellen. (Hedra's real name)   which is what she had been trying to replicate in every female relationship she had.  Don't think for a minute that Allie, the Bridget Fonda, character, was the first; she makes reference to a girl back in Tampa, and I would imagine this behavior went on in the years following her sister's death.  She just could not stop, or would accept help.  The tragic thing about Hedy is that, lonely as she is, she is better off, more herself, when she is alone; once she bonds, and expectations, as they do, break down, she becomes dangerous.

                                  Jennifer Jason Leigh created a multi-layered portrayal of a tragic soul in torment.  I have to wonder, were she to do Hedra today, what would she do differently?  Or would she?  One thing, like "Fatal Attraction" I did not like, was the ending.  It was too pat.  My ending of SWF, which was more Hitchockian, would have gone like this.

                                    On a crowded, weekday Manhattan midtown street, a smartly dressed, confident Allie is walking along--to or from a job.  She passes a woman, dressed professionally with sunglasses, and the two do double takes. Allie blinks--the other woman removes her glasses. It is Hedra, smiling happily.  The camera pans back and forth between them, as Hedra smiles--and Allie realizes the truth--Hedra is pulling the same act on another hapless girl in the city, and she has no way of warning her. Hedy smiles, puts on her glasses, and dissolves into the crowd, which swallows them both, as the camera pulls back, Allie looking on in horror.

                                  I still say that is how the film should have ended in 1992. And, as far as I am concerned, it  did. But, how about it Jen?  Sound in; if you were playing Hedra today, would you do anything different?  Granted, the portrayal is nigh perfect, but times and disorders have changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   And I am no longer a spinster, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

3 comments:

Jhon mac said...

I want to thank you for this informative post. I really appreciate sharing this great post.Keep up your work.
Thanks for sharing this great article.Great information thanks a lot for the detailed article.
Glenn close mental illness

The Raving Queen said...

Jhonmac,

I just came across your comments.
Thank you for your kind words. Keep
reading this blog, and comment as you please.

The Raving Queen said...

Jhonmac,

I just came across your comments.
Thank you for your kind words. Keep
reading this blog, and comment as you please.