Followers

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Favorite Super-Hero Costumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                            With just two days to go until Gojira, one of my heroes, hiss movie theaters, I began thinking of super-heroes I always wanted to be, over the years.  Though, being the Raving Queen, darlings, for me it was never about strength or power, but how colorful the actual costume was.

                                It seems I almost always favored red.  And a cape!

                                Let's begin with Starman, who appeared for the first time, I believe, in Adventure Comics, sometime in 1941!!!!!!!!  Just look at all that red, yellow and green!  I think the green cape also has a yellow star on the back, because design is so important. And, although, he flies, he carries a magic rod with him. Starman was the earliest super-hero I ever wanted to be, though he was not the first.  Though red is important there, too!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  That distinction would belong to The Flash, of the Sixties, seen below. I could not resist that costume, nor could I resist the idea of having super speed.  I liked running up to a point, but never became quite proficient at it.  If I had, I would have thought about wearing a Flash Costume. I do wear a Flash T shirt on Summer holidays!!!!!!!!!  Who could resist it????????????  And that lightning symbolism.  That was to figure in other costumes later, although the color scheme went from red to blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            How I wanted to be Garth Ranz, aka Lightning Lad, of the Legion Of Super-Heroes.  Our hair color had a basic similarity, but he had this stunning blue costume, with lightning bolts on the front. And a blue cape, to match. His power was he could send forth electric bolts that would help.  He hailed from the world of Winath, and he had a twin sister, Ayla, who, when first in the Legion was known as Lightning Lass, but an accident rendered her power to shrinkage, whereby, with some minor costume adjustments, she became Light Lass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think if I had my choice, the Flash and Lightning Lad would be my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                               
                      But wait, there was also Doctor Fate!  First, I loved having the title Doctor! Pity I never finished by PH.D. because, darlings, it would be Dr. This and Dr. That!  I loved the blue and yellow combo on Doctor Fate's costume, his metal arm bands, and, of  course the yellow cape.  He belonged to the Justice Society of America on Earth Two--who I thought were more interesting-- and he was designated the Master Of Magic, so he could shoot bolts from his head, but they would do anything he wished--not just act electronically, as with Lightning Lad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                         Where is such fashion today?  The super-heroes today look like over worked out gym rats, with dull costumes, and even duller power and personas.  Give me the old days of these guys, when it was something to actually be a Super-Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Remember, this is the type of hero that inspired Michael Chabon to  write 'Kavalier And Clay.'  Not Astro Boy, I can tell you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                Watch me whiz through space, dolls!  If I do, you will get a full report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: