Followers

Friday, September 26, 2014

Deconstruction #8--Mary Stuart Masterson Singing "My Husband Makes Movies" From "Nine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                 What with Seth Rudetsky trying to compete with yours truly, publishing a book, yet still refusing to recognize great songs and performances that merit attention, it is time for me to step in again, with another Musical Theater Deconstruction!!!!!!!!!!!  So, here we are, up to number 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                   This choice begs the question can another performer surpass the originator?  In the case of "My Husband Makes Movies," yes.

                     Now, as my girls who are Theater Queens, know, Karen Akers origniated this song, when she played the role of Luisa Contini in "Nine," when it was first staged, back in 1982!!!!!!!!!  That was 32 years ago, darlings; can you believe it??????????  The show and score were so magical, I saw it three times; at one of those performances, I even stood, just to watch it!

                        I did not see David Leveraux's revival of "Nine," when it was done at the Roundabout, back in 2003.  But I can recall being in one of those record stores, where you could listen to CD tracks aided by headphones, and how blown away I was by Mary Stuart Masterson's rendition of "My Husband Makes Movies."

                        There is no question that Karen Akers' voice is more technically proficient.  It may sound better, but for her characterization, it made her just a bit regal and icy.  Masterson's sound is more natural, having that quality of spontaneity and discovery I occasionally find in singers of lesser vocal technique, but which gives them greater acting quality.  Mary Stuart's is a more feeling, emotional rendering of the song, and Leveraux understands this by how he stages the song, having Masterson circle the stage, remove and replace her glasses at crucial emotional points, giving her characterization more emotion than Akers, and dressing her as simply as possible.  It is a perfect  rendering of the song, and the first time I heard her get to the part where she muses, "Guido Contini, Luisa Contini..." I actually had tears in my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        This is not only an exceptional rendering of a great song, but one that stunningly  surpasses its originator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                           But, let me stop talking so you can hear for yourselves!  Here is Mary Stuart!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: