Followers

Monday, August 15, 2016

I Had Such Fun With "The Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                        Now, don't get me wrong, honeys!!!!!!!!!!  I am certainly NOT going straight!

                                         I began Emma Cline's "The Girls," with some trepidation, because, in the time since I first purchased it, I had heard words to the effect it starts out well, but then sort of peters out.  So, I read this, with that warning in the back of my mind, but it did not happen.  To be sure, there were other things I questioned, but "The Girls," from start to finish, was an unstoppable read.

                                         Anyone of a certain age knows what it is based on, where it comes from, and where it is going.  But knowing all that does not blunt the impact.  The most fascinating thing about Cline's book, which is exceptionally well written, are its fascinating and insightful glimpses into female psychology, especially for those of us outside the realm.

                                          This is where "The Girls" is at its best.  Its chronicling of the crime, and what leads up to it is graphic and disturbing, no matter what.  Especially when a child is involved.
Cline is never excessive here, and while the section was repulsive, I can excuse her for allowing that, as I think it helps the narrative impact.

                                             What I could not countenance--and this may come as a spoiler--so if you want to be surprised, stop here--was how Evie Boyd, the protagonist, was allowed to come and go from the ranch, where Russell's cult lived.  Even though Evie and Suzanne Parker, one of the core members, formed some unexplained emotional bond, which I think resulted in Suzanne tossing Evie out of the car prior to the crime; she was trying to protect both Evie and the group, as she knew it would be too much for Evie. Well, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                I just cannot see a cult of any sort allowing a member such freedom, even if she was 14, or not.  For a better handling of this situation, check out the 2011 movie "Martha Marcy May Marlene," starring Elizabeth Olsen (yes!!!!!!!!!) in a genuinely good performance, and the always brilliant Sarah Paulson, as her older sister, Lucy.

                                                 I question how Cline justifies all Evie's freedom. Aside from that, "The Girls" is the perfect Summer Read it has been hinted at, and laced with suspense, in spite of its being a story many of us are all too familiar with.

No comments: