Followers

Sunday, September 13, 2020

A Sad Farewell To Dame Diana Rigg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  When "Bye, Bye, Birdie" hit the screen in 1963, with Ann-Margret seeming to come right at the audience, there was no better hip twitcher, at the time, then she.  But when "The Avengers" made its American television debut, with Diana Rigg as Emma Peel, all that changed.  Ann went on to a glorious career, but Diana was the one we all stood in front of the television with, and twitched our hips.  I know I did, and I wanted to look like Diana Rigg, then; I mean, who didn't?  And that was back in 1965!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    So, I was sad to learn of her passing on September 10th, after a bout with cancer.  Diana--who was eventually Dame-ed-- was quite an actress herself.  Though remembered for Emma Peel, my favorite performance of hers was as Edwina, daughter of Vincent Price in "Theater Of Blood."  Remember her as "Butch, The Hairdresser's Assistant???????????"  Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      She graced the stage so many times I was not sure if I had ever had the pleasure of seeing her on stage.  Then I remembered the 2018 revival of "My Fair Lady" David and I saw at Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont!  Rigg played Mrs. Higgins not as patrician as Gladys Cooper, but in her more down to earth, yet classy, way.  If only the ending had not been changed and that Lauren Amborse thing had not been cast.  Both Rigg and Harry Haddon-Paton, not to mention Norbert Leo Butz walked off with the show.  So did everyone, except Ambrose.


                                       It is no wonder Rigg left the show before the run ended.  She was too knowing, to put up with Bartlett Sher's tinkering with the piece, not to mention Ambrose's unprofessional antics.  I am sure Rigg could see, from day one, what was clear to me from the start--Ambrose was not suited for the part.  Had I known Laura Benanti would eventually go into it, I would have waited for her.


                                      Still, it is sad to witness the passing of Rigg at 82.  Her class, her humor, and the flair she brought to her acting will be missed.  And can never be replaced.

                      

                                       Here is Diana Rigg, in "Theatre Of Blood."  As I said, priceless!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I shall listen to some Bye Bye Birdie numbers today.
I know a little boy named Conrad so I often do anyway!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

To this day, when I watch 'Birdie'
at home, I stand in front of the TV, at
the opening and ending, pretending I am
Ann-Margret! It drove my parents crazy!
Better for us all than if I had done drugs!
Which I would never have done, anyway!