Followers

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

A Sad Farewell To Joanna Merlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          When someone one does not think of as dying does, it is doubly sad.  Such is the case with Joanna Merlin, who has been loved over decades for so many of her contributions.  To theater queens, she will always be known as the original Tzeitel in "Fiddler On The Roof."  But, darlings, did you know, prior to that, she appeared in the original Broadway production of "Beckett," with Laurence Olivier and Anthony Quinn?  And then "A Far Country" with the sublime Kim Stanley??????????????


                            Of course, "Law And Order" fans loved her as Judge Lena Petrovsky.  I always felt confident watching an episode featuring Joanna Merlin.  I knew she would give a quality performance.
Just like she did as dancing teacher Miss Berg in the 1980 film, "Fame."


                             Along with all this, for over fifty years she was Broadway's top casting director, because she worked for Harold Prince.  Anyone who auditioned for a Prince show met Joanna Merlin.  I wish I had had that chance.


                                She died on Sunday, October 15, 2023, at the age of 92.  That is a good run for a real trouper, but it is too soon for those of us who admired Joanna Merlin.  Like Harold Prince, she will never be replaced.


                             So, Rest In Peace, Joanna!  You will always be a true theater icon.


                             Broadway's lights should be dimmed for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                               

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Yes, I was singing Fiddler songs in her honor.
Also some of my favorite comforting hymns, Abide With Me, Sweet By and By, No Night There, Never Alone, Great is Thy Faithfulness, When We All Get To Heaven, Amazing Love, Soon and Very Soon, A Land Where We’ll Never Grow Old, Just a Closer Walk With Thee, and so on.
Music helps So much in times of sorrow, doesn’t it

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I was singing 'Matchmaker' yesterday. I love "Just A Closer Walk With Thee." Did you know it was used in the 1994 film, "Heavenly Creatures?" I also like "In The Garden," which Ronee Blakley sang so beautifully in 1975's "Nashville."

Victoria said...

Oh I LOVE In The Garden!!!
For the longest time I was calling it, He walks with me & He talks with me!!!