Followers

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Good Of Its Kind, But Really For Those Into Fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     Now, I loved the author's previous novel, "The Ten Thousand Doors Of January."  I also like witches, and the blurbs kept speaking of a sweeping story.  Well, girls, let me tell you.......



                                      Full-fledged fantasy fans will dig this, because they will read anything in this genre, and I mean anything.  The story does not sweep so much as drag; it starts with the Eastwood Sisters, three witches, in the town of New Salem, where women's rights are on the line.  There is a bit of social activism here, a figure that is very Trump-like, but does this need to be over five hundred pages?   Not really, because I did not find it that engaging, though I finished it.  The cover is beguiling, but for titles, stick with "The Once And Future King," by T. H. White.  That one I could not put down; I read it in college during play rehearsals and was so absorbed I missed several cues!  Thank God, I finished it before opening night.


                                          This is Harrow's second novel, and sophomore efforts are often a disappointment.  But unless she comes up with something amazing, I do not think I will be following her.



                                             What is the best witch novel ever written?  Why, "The Witching Hour," by Anne Rice, of course.  Even though it clocks in at over 900 pages, it is gripping, and gives a fascinating history of international witchcraft, New Orleans, and the Mayfair family.  Do not miss it.


                                                This book, in short, failed to cast its spell on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Oh, I have. But this book, though readable did not to be as long as it was, and the story dragged. Just because it is about witches does not necessarily mean it is great.

And, as I said, I will not pick up any fantasy book for its own sake.