Followers

Friday, March 8, 2024

March Is The Month Of The Mammoths--Books!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I Am In Such A Quandary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          This was news to me, girls!  According to book tubers, March is the month when one is supposed to choose and read a Mammoth book--that is one exceeding 800 pages.  Many of the suggestions I have already read, and don't feel like reading again.



                              Right now, I am getting through "The Shards" by Bret Easton Ellis, who, in spite of it, is still a pretty good writer.   The premise is engaging--what if you suspected there was a serial killer among the senior members of your high school class?   Clues and herrings are thrown out from the beginning, all pointing to one person, but really??????????  I can't wait to get a back to it to find out.  Like "American Psycho," there are some excessively gory parts.  Even for me, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                   So, here is my quandary.  If I finish the Ellis book before the close of March--and I anticipate I will--then I have three contenders on here for you to ponder.  I would like input from folk on which one I should read.   Starting with--

                             1.   "Shantaram," by Gregory David Roberts--This is an epic novel of India that I have been meaning to read for over twenty years; it came out in 2003.  It clocks in at 938 pages.  What do you think?  By the way, I just purchased this copy yesterday.
                                         2.  "The Books Of Jacob," by Olga Tokarczuk--I read her first book, "Flghts," and did not like it at all.  I read another, "Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead," and liked it moderately.  Now, this work clocks out at 917 pages, and the pages go backwards.  Does the story?  Is this a novel structured like the musical "Merrily We Roll Along?"  I can't say.  I do know I keep hearing good things about it from people, so what on earth should I do? It has been in my piile for ten years.  Yes, this book is ten years old!  You tell me.
                                        3.  "Don Quixote," by Miguel De Cervantes--As a Raving Queen, I am also a Theater Queen, so, of course I know "Man Of La Mancha."  Knights, windmills, "The Impossible Dream; " I get it.  This one clocks in at 976 pages, and I have owned this one the longest.  I know, of course, that "The Impossible Dream" will not be in there, but I bet I can find the spot in the novel where it would be.  Should I try it?  I will let you decide.


                                           Whatever is chosen I will stick to, unless it is insurmountable to get through, which does not necessarily mean length.  Let's see what book gets chosen.  And if anyone has read any of these and can recommend one above the others that would be helpful too.


                                               And, girls, I know you want to know about last night's episode of "Feud," but I promise I will get to it soon.



                                                                   

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Ok, I’ll weigh in!!!
I think the first one!!
Only because the second one, I don’t particularly care for that author,
And Don Quixote, I had a bad experience with in high school!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I was leaning to that one. The author of 'Jacob' I have issues with, and 'Quixote' I have trepidation because of its length; can the story support it? What was your bad experience with it in high school?