Followers

Friday, February 25, 2011

Darlings, We Have Another Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, imagine me awaking this morning to music from what occasions this anniversary today. As Monsieur said, it must be some kind of sign. Of what, I would like to know.

Loves, forty three years ago on this very day, at the Clairidge Movie Theater in Montclair, New Jersey, at the tender age of 13, I had my first viewing of "David O. Sleznick's Production Of Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind."

Honey, it changed my life. Maybe it is why I am such a bitch today, darlings!!!!! I learned from Vivien Leigh, whose Scarlett got me through adolescence, not to take any crap--when Life kicks you, kick it right back. I swooned over the lushly romantic exterior shots, and oh, my God, the railroad station scene still takes my breath away, with tears, though by this time the number of times I have viewed this film is damn near close to 50. The last was just a year ago, at the Film Forum, at the Victor Flemming Festival.

But that initial viewing, with my Mother, that day, was stunning. I don't recall ever seeing anything that large filling a movie screen. I remember this picture of Scarlett I had built up from reading the book--not knowing much about Vivien Leigh then--and, honey, when the camera zoomed in on her at the start, I remember thinking, "My God, THAT is Scarlett!" Of course so I am, darlings, though my waist is a long way from hers. Mammy would burst about six corsets just trying to lace me into one.

Proud to have seen this film, and proud to sit on my plantation porch, amidst golden sunsets, with servants, receiving gentlemen callers!!!!!! Just like childhood, loves, back on the North Side.

What could be more perfect than to celebrate this day with a screening. But since I am particular--I HAVE to see it in a theater--I have no control over such things. And Monsieur wonders why I throw boogers!!!!!! Better that than a vase!!!!!!!!

Nevertheless, this day marked a turning point in my life. I never thought I would live to say it was as many years ago as it actually was. Who knows what I am in store for next!!!!!!!!! There is only one way to find out, girls, and that is to stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiddle Dee Dee, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: