Followers

Friday, March 25, 2011

All Right, Girls: Here It Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Darlings, I know, I know! From the first time I found out from my matinee idol coworker, Victor, that Elizabeth Taylor had left this world, I was emotionally devastated. What can be said, that has not been said already? For those of us who grew up with her, she was our "first" movie star. For those born too much past the "star system," she was also the "last" star, too. And in the 60s, next to Jackie and Jack, then Jackie and Ari, Liz and Dick were THE most famous couple in the world!!!!!

I never went through an Elizabeth Taylor phase, because--how could I EVER hope to be her???? To be as stunning as THAT???? To look SO good in a white bathing suit??????

Gay men loved Liz for her support and courage, her graciousness, all of which is what made her an icon. But none of us wanted to BE her!!!!! It was just unthinkable!!!!!!!!

She was a part of the collective unconscious for so long, accepting her departure will be difficult. And she left behind some wonderful work. To me, she will be always wearing the white bathing suit from "Suddenly, Last Summer."

So, farewell, Elizabeth Taylor. You were, and will remain, quite a gal!!!!!!!!!!

Love to you from me and my girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: