Followers

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Girls, What Is Happening On The Rialto?????????????



Darlings, let me tell you, when there is a lot to cover, evan a Raving Queen can get confused. In my rush to bring you the info on the potentially Broadway bound "Children's Hour" (wherein I still have hopes of portraying Mary!!!!) I morphed too much info together and confused not only myself but my girls!!!!!!!!

It seems the production was mentioned in tandem with another play performing in London, now, THAT one starring Elizabeth Hall, and from this I ran together the notion that Hall would be playing Martha Dobie in TCH. But thanks to one of my astute girls out there, I stand corrected--Martha is currently being portrayed by Elizabeth Moss, she of the TV hit "Mad Men," who looks right for the part. Of course, it would have been interesting to cast a real glamour puss as Martha, but then they sort of tried to do that with Shirley Maclaine back in 1961, who downplayed a little, but still had that bohemian post 'Apartment' glamour for the part. Hell, for that matter, if you want non glamour, I could play Martha, but, as I have made clear, I am not interested in that role. I want to play MARY!!!!!!!!!!

Loves, I stand corrected!!!!!!!!

Something I should have added yesterday, too--this is 2011, which means Wyler's 1961 film this year reaches the grand old age of 50. Will there be "Children's Hour" parties all over Manhattan this year, with screaming queens screaming out every word of Lillian Hellman's lush, overripe dialogue???? Oh, my God, I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I ask you, what is happening on the Rialto????? No sooner do I write about 'Spider Man' than I discover there is trouble a brewing over at the hitherto successful revival of "La Cage Aux Folles". With Kelsey Grammer having vacated the show for a fourth marriage ( hmmmm...did you have to prove yourself straight, Kels, after doing this role????), Jeffrey Tambor was set to go, when all of a sudden it is announced he is leaving abruptly due to hip pain!!!!!!!!!

Hip pain???????? Hip pain, my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girls, the rumor on the Street is that he couldn't handle the part--the singing, the acting, anything. He only did two actual performances. Now, I cannot really fault Jeffrey here; darlings, if you are not right for a role, that is that.
I don't think I would last two performances if I tried to play Stanley Kowalski. Unless I took a blatantly comedic approach or played Stanley as a queen.....which would not work. So, the question must be asked--Where were the producers and director???? OK, you sign Jeffrey, you rehearse him--because, honey you have to learn SO much when doing a musical!!!!!!--and if somewhere along the way you see trouble ahead, then try to fix it, or if you see a train wreck approaching, you send out signals to those out there to come up with a contingency plan. Even community theater folk know this. Ane even if Jeffrey rehearsed only with the stage manager(s)--as may very welll be the case--couldn't they see the disaster ahead and send out signals?????

Does no one pay attention to deatails anymore???? No wonder I can't wait to have Lillian Hellman's play back on Broadway.

You have to feel bad for Jeffrey Tambor, a not unatalented actor. Maybe he was afraid to admit he was in over his head. But someone out there should have intervened on his behalf, and on behalf of the show> Who are they going to get now??? Barbra???? James Brolin???? James might not be a bad idea, but MY personal choice would be the great Martin Vidnovic, who just happens to be Laura Benanti's father, and who still has the gorgeous voice he had decades ago. Plus he is easier on the eyes than Jeffrey, and God knows, dolls, with Harvey out there doing Albin, you have GOT to give the audience some eye candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am almost afraid to ask what we are in for next???? Will Daniel Radcliffe's success with Eqqus necessitate a nude scene in his contract for every Broadway appearance???? I do not want to see J. Pierpont Finch in the nude!!!!!!!!!!

Broadway is getting rougher and rougher!!!!!!!!! Especially when those in charge cannot seem to get their acts together. Don't blame Mr. Tambor, girls; I am sure he strove to do his best!!!!!!!!!! As I know you all do every day!!!!!!!!!!

All my girls would make FABULOUS Cagelles, loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: