Followers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Darlings, I Am Ashamed I Forgot The Muffins!!!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, let me tell you, whether one is a Theater Queen, a studious practitioner of the Dramatic Arts (like Monroe's Miss Caswell in "All About Eve") or have just trod the boards for lo these many years, there are about ten noteworthy properties that, sooner or later, in one way or another, you will cross paths with. And one of these is Oscar Wilde's "The Importance Of Being Earnest."

I have seen, studied and performed this one till I feel it is coming out of my ears. But let me say, actor growth makes a big difference when approaching it, because I discovered a recent felicity for the material I did not have for it my first time out. And this comes with age and experience, lambs.

Speaking as an actress, darlings, I have to say that the role of Miss Prism, which I performed, was, I felt, my most satisfying work since Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed." And, to my fellow members of The LPA Players, I would like to say that, next to "The Bad Seed," this is or best effort since, the only other one I would venture, with a few directorial tweaks and shadings, to put before a live audience.

Where to start? Well, our company ingenue, Emily made a lovely Cecily, with the most delicately shaded line readings, the kind you never heard from Reese Witherspoon, let me tell you!!!!!!! And that Reese--blowing off men the way she has, ever since Ryan Phillipe left!!!!!! Not our Emily!!!!!!!!!! Her Cecily was a treasure. Then there was Amy in the coveted role of Lady Bracknell. She aced the British accent as though it were her 300th performance. What is more, she bought a lightness and fun to the role, that Judi Dench certainly lacked. The way Dench played it was one step from the Gorgon mother portrayed by Shelley Winters in "A Patch Of Blue." No wonder I was so impressed by Quentin Crisp years ago. And Miss Tanisha did a Gewndolyn with such authority and poise you would swear she had graduated from Miss Porter's. I can assure you, both Princess Lee Radizwill and Gloria Vanderbilt would have been impressed. As for the men, they were sublime. John, our group novice, demonstrated a range stretching all the way, as I have said, to Shelley Duvall. I cannot wait to see him play L.A. Joan in "Nashville," though I could see him in the Barbara Harris role, too. But he made a PERFECT Algernon--cheerful, witty and glib; I only wish we could have scrounged up a nice seersucker suit to dress him in, making him look like a nice, scrumptious cupcake!!!!!!!! Playing opposite him as Jack, Steve brought years of professional experience to a carefully nuanced reading that rather elevated Jack to a social stature I had hitherto not thought of him as being. He and Gwendolyn were perfect for each other.
As was Charlie for Dr. Chausuble. What was refreshing was he avoided all the Donald Crispisms, Cecil Kellaway overtones, or Henry Travers mannerisms one might associate with this role, using his stentorian quality to lend not only a genuine clerical authority to the role, but, equally important, making my job as Miss Prism to have the hots for him that much easier--Cecil, Henry, or Donald just would not have cut it!!!!!!! And, of course, Wendy, our hostess, coordinator and provider of a Britsh repast.

I have to say the repast was the best. Who would have thought Pimm's Cups would he such a hit? I loved the cucumbers and cheese, and poor Daisy, who had to perform domestic duties in this play did some real ones with the mac and cheese, which was yummy!!!!!!!! She looked as radiant as always, and we cannot wait for her next Amy Adams role!!!!!! I must apologize; there is as much muffin eating in the latter part of this play as there had been in the famous "Seinfeld" "Muffin Tops" episode, and I wished I had provided some for John/Algernon to wolf down!!!!!! And some Earl Grey tea should have been on hand; for which I must apologize too.

These minutiae aside, the LPA Players should be proud of their success with Oscar Wilde, one not everyone, myself included, expected. Now that we have mastered this technically tricky text, the path is wide open. Where shall we go from here????????

Straight to a TONY Award, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: