Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Girls,Let Me Tell You, This Is The Most Scrumptious Cupcake This Side Of The Magnolia Bakery!!!!!!!!



Despite, darlings, how I felt about the production debacle that was the revival of "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever," I nevertheless singled out the two performers who together make the evening tolerable. Now, I would further like to single out one of those performers.

Namely, loves, David Turner, who, in this show plays, not Daisy, but David Gamble!!!!!!

From the minute he walks onstage, he is just the most precious little thing! To think he is in his late thirties, because, you could have fooled me, dolls; he looks as fresh faced an ingenue as yours truly!!!!!!!! And he truly is!!!!!!!!!

Not only that, but he can pilot a plane, having a pilot's license. Imagine, dears, being locked in the cockpit (wink!wink!) with him!!!!!!! Airline sales would soar through the skies!!!!!!! To think he was a resident of New Jersey, graduating from the same school Tyler Clementi did--Ridgewood High, but in the year of Tyler's birth, 1992!!!!!! Educated at Williams College, a master on the keyboard, David Turner is Renaissance, honey!!!!!!!!!! He could be my arranger any time!!!!!!!!

But let's get back to him in the show. He is so warm and engaging, you just want to wrap your arms around him!!!!!!! And he has the task of singing what is unquestionably the BEST song in the entire score--"What Did I Have?"

I have to admit, having never heard anyone of the male gender sing this, I was curious to see how it would come off. After all, as both a Baby Boomer and Theater Queen, I cut my teeth on Eydie Gorme's brassy rendition. I have been singing it for years, myself, girls, because Eydie taught me how!!!!!!!!!!

David's take is so interesting; he comes in soft, then builds, then goes soft again, for a big, explosive finish that not only stops the show, but practically reinvents the song. Darlings, as many times as I have heard Eydie do it, and later, via the Cast Album, the great Barbara Harris, no one ever elicited tears from me before, with their rendition. But David brings a poignancy and heartbreak to the song that had me sobbing!!!!!!!! I am sure mine was not the only wet hanky in the house, girls!!!!!!!!!! And shut up, you filthy minded queens!!!!!!! I am talking about tears HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are two things you can do, girls!!!!!!! I have it on record that there is going to be a CD of this production. Which in the case of some people (like Harry Connick, Jr.) may make it sound better, and can allow you to hear both David and the great Jessie Mueller without having to listen to the godawful script. So listening to the CD won't take as long as seeing the show.

Or, if you want to see either live, you could "second act" it, because that is when the better songs and moments do come in. Then you only have to see half of this mess, and without paying a dime!!!!!!!!!!

I don't quite know David's story, darlings, but for all my single "girls" out there, I think he is on our team. I don't know if he is available, as he seems to be rather reserved about that, not to mention he is probably dealing with stage door groupies every night!!!!!! I should be one of them!!!!!!!!!

But, short of being a groupie, I am telling you here and now--David Turner is someone to keep an eye on. Listen to his voice and bask in his charm; this young man is going places!!!!!!!!!

His next stop should be a cabaret act. Because an evening with David Turner would be entertainment magic!!!!!!!!!!!

See all my girls there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: