Followers

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Is "Les Miserables" Some Kind Of Litmus Test, Darlings??????????????

   
                                           Few films currently playing today have generated more discussion than "Les Miserables."  However one feels about it, people seem to have something to say.

                                             Monsieur and I were talking about this one morning, while getting ready for work.  While the film was not his favorite film or musical (nor mine) he could not understand why there were so many people out there who intensely hated it.

                                                 I said it comes down to a couple  of factors.  Those who love the film,  or are drawn to it, seem to have prior exposure to either the stage show, or the Victor Hugo novel.  The emphatic detractors seem to have no exposure at all.

                                                    Does one need exposure to appreciate "Les Miserables?"  It helps.

                                                      Before the stage show hit Broadway in 1987, I made a conscious decision to read the Hugo novel.  I wanted to get an idea of what they were adapting, and seeing if they could do it.  So that was my introduction to Jean Valjean, Fantine, Cosette and all the gang!!!!!!!!!!!  Since it is a lengthy book, I spent a great deal of time with it, almost feeling that I was living with (or in the case of Fantine, living through) the characters, and their experiences.   By the time I saw the musical, on March 13, 1987, I was versed well in it, and had a greater appreciation for what had been done onstage than I might have. And--very important here--having read the novel, I was able to fill in for myself gaps that the musical inevitably left out, or noticed key differences--like Madame Thernardier still being alive towards the end.

                                                         
                                                        I did the same thing, when I knew the film was coming out at the end of 2012.  It had been a good twenty-five years, and so I decided to revisit it, by rereading the novel.  I am glad I did; I experienced the same emotional pull as the first time, and picked up bits of information I had not the first time around, or had otherwise forgotten.


                                                         And, yes, I lived out Fantine!  During this period, Monsieur told me he could not wait for me to finish the book; it was dragging me down so!  But such is its power!                
                                                     
                                                      Would I have enjoyed it, without all this exposure?  Most likely, because I am inclined towards musical theater.  But those who are not, and who know nothing of the story, outside of Valjean being pursued by Javert, might do better to immerse themselves in the material.  It could make a difference in their experience of seeing "Les Miserables"--whatever version--dramatized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                          Or else they can stick to Nicholas Sparks, and his  ilk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

HarlowFan said...

I love the story, have read the book, seen numerous film versions and saw the Broadway musical 4 times. I found this film to be very tedious. 2 and a half hours that felt like 6. It screamed for an intermission. The final 40 minutes with everyone getting their own 3 minute soliloquy in full cloesup was almost unbearable. I kept thinking what a great spoof Carol Burnett would have done in the old days. I enjoyed parts of it though, and what choked me up on stage still got to me here, ie Fantine coming for Valjean at the end. Now, don't kill me, but I think Hathaway's performance is a bit over rated. She was perfectly fine, but I'm still rooting for Sally Field, who I found to be superior. All in all, I thought Les Miz DOES have it's good points, but if you gave me the admission price, and drove me to the theatre in a limo, I could never sit through this again. Are we still friends? Lol!

The Raving Queen said...


Just noticed your comment a few hours ago. I too love the story, and have read the novel twice. I approached the film expecting to be disappointed. I thought Anne Hathaway was superb as Fantine, but there were other portions of the film that were not as effective. I am with you that it needed an Intermission--after "One Day More," just like on stage. First, this is an emotionally overwhelming story, and a fifteen minute break is necessary to clear the head. The other reason, especially for those of us of a certain age, is the bladder. When the film finally ended, and the applause died down, I noticed a stampede to the bathrooms.

I am rooting for Anne because she played Fantine. That role trumps all. Despite another of my faves, Amy Adams, being nominated. Who, btw was considered for Fantine in this film.

Were I younger I might have already seen this 3 or 4 times. But I don't have the emotional stamina anymore. So, I will not be seeing it again!

Keep on posting; even if you had HATED it, no problem!!!!!!!!!!!