Followers

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The First Book Of 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                            Nothing like starting on a high note, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            I had loved Tana French's debut novel, "In The Woods," when I read it awhile back.  This book brings back the heroine there, Dublin detective Cassie Maddox.  I was also intrigued by the remarks in the Washington Post review, describing it as "a cross between Donna Tartt and Wilkie Collins."  Those happen to be two of my favorite authors, and when I began reading "The Likeness," I got the Tartt connection right away. But, as I kept reading, I kept wondering about the Wilkie Collins one. I finally got it, about halfway through, but it is so minute it does not bear comparison.  It is only that when I discovered this plot thread that the review's remark finally made sense.

                                           "The Likeness" starts slowly, outlining character and situation, making it somewhat of a slow read, at first.  I had to wonder, at one point, if I should put it down.  I was glad I did not, because, after the first 75 or 100 pages,  WHOOOOOOOOOOSH--the story just takes off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                               On an estate that resembles Manderly in "Rebecca," live a group of students doing post graduate work at Trinity College.  They are living there under the auspices of the owner, a student himself, named Daniel March, who inherited the estate from his family.  On the premises of this estate, the body of one of their own, Lexie Madison, is found dead.  And Lexie, just happens to resemble Cassie so much, she could pass as her doubl!!!!!!!!!!!!.

                                                   Utilizing this advantage, Frank Mackey has Cassie infiltrate the houseful of students, posing as Lexie, whom they do not know is dead, seeing what she can extract from  them---as one of them looks potentially good for Lexie's death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                      The rest of "The Likeness" is French's working out of this situation. To say anything more would be to deprive the reader of the superb roller coaster ride one gets from reading this.  Several times, I was sure I would miss my train stop, and last night, with just eight pages to go, I just HAD to finish it.  The results are satisfying, and the writing is a cut above the rest within this genre.

                                                         This had always been on my radar to read, but things get in the way, darlings!!!!!!!!!  I know French has written at least one book since, and I cannot wait to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                           "The Likeness" is a great way to start the new Book Year!!!!!!!!  But think twice, darlings, before deciding what to do with inherited property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: