Followers

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Girls, What Am I Going To Do About My "Glass Menagerie" Dilemma???????????


                               Tonight, at the Booth Theatre, the curtain goes up on this latest revival of Tennessee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie," a play I have lived with since my theatrical infancy, and featuring Cherry Jones as Amanda, and the one I have the most trepidation about--Celia Keenan-Bolger, as Laura!!!!!!!!!!

                                  However, I have to admit, from this photo, Celia is looking pretty Laura-ish!!!!!!!! And there are a couple of other photos to show she might be heading in the right direction, as Laura.  However, there are some other photos, where--I don't know if it is accidental or not--Celia as Laura is showing just too much leg, or flesh!!!!!!!!!  Laura Wingfield would NEVER do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   Now, Amanda would!   Even though she is just some dried up old thing, she thinks she still has it, so Amanda would lower her shoulder strap, or do whatever it takes.  Not Laura!  Which is what makes this tragi-comedy SO tragic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Of course, I am on the fence now, darlings!!!!!!!!!  Should I go see Celia do Laura, or not?????????  If she WOWS me, great!  If she does not, then I have spent a disappointing evening in the theater; few things are worse than seeing BAD Tennessee Williams. And I have.  For those old enough, on here, I will just say--Vanessa Redgrave in "Orpheus Descending!!!!!!!!!"

                                      Now, don't think, for a minute, dears, that I want to horn in, and play Laura. Not that I probably couldn't, but my days of being a shrinking violet have been left far behind!!!!!!!!!

                                       When it comes to "The Glass Menagerie," even if this one turns out to be good (and if I go, I will let you girls know!!!!!!!!!) I have two ideas.  The first is to have a production where MERYL does Amanda and Laura simultaneously.  Being MERYL, I know this is not impossible, and it would be marvelous to watch!

                                         The last revival I saw had Jessica Lange as Amanda (ugh!!!!!!!) but was redeemed by Christian Slater as Tom, and Sarah Paulson, as Laura!  I think it would be fun to have Sarah
come back and do Laura again....but this time, she plays Laura as her character on 'SVU', sociopath socialite, Anne Gillette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           Now, THAT would be a new take on Tennessee Williams, darlings!!!!!!!!!  Amanda wouldn't stand a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   


No comments: