Followers

Monday, September 16, 2013

Time For A Bit Of Levity, Now, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    Now, darlings, I have never nursed a conscious desire to be Sally Bowles, and while my tenor voice is still strong enough to deliver a chilling rendition of "Tomorrow Belongs To Me," given my choice of roles, I would rather play Sally.  Besides being less politically aligned to the Nazi movement, (and I know you can interpret Sally's blocking it out as some kind of apathy) Sally has a better wardrobe than that brown, Swastika-ed, Ayran Nazi crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    What all this has to do with is a dream I had two nights ago. Monsieur and I were
going to the theater, and the show was "Cabaret."  The theater was the Vivian Beaumont at Lincoln Center, only it did not look like it should.  It resembled one of the caves that the Nazis emerge out of, right after the
Von Trapps skip the stage in "The Sound Of Music."  The idea was you walked through this cave, and the auditorium had been converted into an actual cabaret,. around which the show was performed.  Don't ask me who played who; things never got that far, and I wonder if my knowing a revival of this show is being planned hand anything to do with this dream.

                                       But then, there was the matter of "Tomorrow Belongs To Me."  The next part of the dream was I was on stage, in full regalia, performing this chilling anthem.  I suppose the actor in me responded to wanting to perform this chilling ode to Fascism, even if it is something I despise.  The age old conundrum  for actors--stepping into the mind and body of someone that you, as a person, mortally despise.

                                         Which is why "Tomorrow......." is one of the best songs in the show's score.  Its haunting, seductive beauty gives way to a chilling foreshadowing that becomes all too apparent to those inhabiting the scene--even if they do not know the reasons, then.  The show audience watching, who now DOES know those reasons, is genuinely chilled.

                                            So, here is that chilling sequence from the film.  I will not be singing it soon, and, even in my younger days, I had no desire to look like this.  But it is probably, next to Liza's rendition of the title song, the best moment from the 1972 film.

                                              I still don't know what my dream means, darlings!!!!!!!  But I DO know, from experience, that it is no good sitting alone in your room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




going

No comments: