Followers

Friday, June 26, 2020

Better Than A Course In Botany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                         Not since Elizabeth Gilbert's "The Shape Of All Things," has a novel, dealing with aspects of science, engaged me.  Set in rural Appalachia, "Prodigal Summer" skillfully interweaves the stories of three women--Deanna, a middle-aged spinster, but not repressed, who works as a park ranger, and lives a solitary rural life, straight out of Thoreau.  Then there is Lusa, recently widowed, and close to, if not possessing a Ph.D. in Entomology.  She has to deal with her husband's less educated, borderline, White Trash family, and the touching chronicle of how she does and finds herself, is the best part of the book.  Then, there is Garnett Walker, and his next door neighbor, Nannie Rawley, and how they come to terms.

                                           Having previously read Dickens, finding something afterward is, admittedly a tough act to follow.  "Prodigal Summer" is perfect; it is satisfying American fiction, the language is gorgeous and compelling, as are the characters.  And, like Dickens, by the end everything is interconnected.  But I am not going to tell you how.  That would spoil things.

                                              This is one of my best recent reads, and I recommend highly.

                                               Then, go out, and thank Mother Nature, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I like coyotes now.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

I do, too. And wolves.
There is a beautiful Siberian Husky
living in our neighborhood, named
Mellow. He is so sweet. Whenever
I run into him, his owner stops to
let Mellow jump so I can him, and
he gives me a kiss. I am told they
are a gentle breed, despite their
wolfish appearance. I love Mellow!