Followers

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Did This Film Foreshadow Depends?????????????????????


                                        I mean, darlings, a giant man wearing a diaper?  What about diaper rash?  Does he have more than one?   How does he get them?



                                        These are the questions I ask about "Svengoolie's" Saturday night offering, "War Of The Colossal Beast."  It is a 1958 sequel to 1957's "The Amazing Colossal Man."  That film ended with the giant shot and falling off Boulder Dam, presumably dead.  Not so.  In this one, he is disfigured, brain damaged--I mean, that fall!!!!!!!!!!--and takes it out on the world.



                                          Unfortunately, the film used two different actors. The 1957 film had Glenn Langan as Glenn Manning (The Colossal Man!) and this sequel has Dean Parkin in the title role.  I thought Langan gave the better performance, and I am sorry AIP did not use him.  Maybe Langan was not interested.  



                                              We will not be able to join you girls this week, so if you have never seen this, watch it, especially for the surprise, at the end.



                                                Meanwhile, last Saturday we watched Sarah Paulson, and the brilliant Keria Allen in "Run," a sort of redo of the Gypsy Blanchard story, but with two surprising twists, one of them simply sadistic.  Paulson registered as always, bringing both sympathy and a chilling pathology to her role, while Allen's physical accomplishments--her was the more difficult role--in this film were remarkable.   Chilling, not campy.



                                                   For camp, we turned to "Killer Drag Queens On Dope." The title tells all, and Alexis Arquette, under the name Eva Destruction, played the predatory Ginger, but it is Omar Alexis who steals the show, enacting the role of Coco, looking to the manner born, in a cross between Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis and her sister, Princess Lee Radziwill.  This has to be seen and is twice as entertaining as "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.  Enjoy this one with your favorite alcoholic beverage, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Or some Cafe Diable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Now, that is a great sleep aid!



                                                   So, enjoy the weekend girls.  Summer is winding down.



                                                   See you next week, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                



3 comments:

Victoria said...

omg my fellow grandmas and I were just talking about how far diapers have come, since WE were young mothers.
We had to use cloth dipes, safety pins, plastic pants, and terry washcloths.
I only poked a baby Once with a pin but, my God I felt so bad!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I was a baby during that era but if I was pinned I
have no memory of it. And I am determined not to regress
to diapers, as I age!

Victoria said...

I’m with you!!!
My sister said maybe we should use depends for some of the long trips we’ve been taking; I said No Way!!!!