Followers

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Darlings, This Weekend Is So Skewered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girls, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. I had such a weekend planned--a leisurely afternoon to catch Part 3 of that wonderful serial killer film "Red Riding Trilogy," then dinner with Harvey and the Girls. Because tomorrow I have to go to David's apartment to see if I want anything, which is going to be poignant and painful, then down to the Center to do my Dignity Homily run-through, which should be a HOOT, and then sing. Then back to work. No rest for the weary.

At ten minutes to eight this morning--girls, I am telling you, the night cream was still on my face--my friend Joe calls. Wednesday was his birthday, and I had planned to wish him such later in the day, but a gathering is being held out at his place in Bloomfield--I LOVE IT--tonight. So that takes care of the movie, and here I am blogging with a card and gift ready for Joe, prior to taking the PATH out to Tom in Newark. Darlings, I will give you a full report on the evening.

Now for a full report on Katina Mataras, a little wrong side of the tracks bitch who was just too full of herself, and who is still living on those Goddamn wrong side of the tracks. She and I had a classic run-in when I was in first grade, and she sixth.

At the time, sixth grade was the senior grade in my elementary school back then. And to us first graders, they seemed as big as adults. Some of those students got to be safety patrol monnitors, whichg meant wearing a badge and white belt across your chest, and walking kids across the street. But Katina was a rotten little bitch, who took things too seriously.

One day, I was crossing the street at her corner; in fact, my mother was waiting for me in the car on the other side to take me home. It was winter, there had been a lot of snow, and while waiting to cross, I was sifting it through my hands, not bothering anyone. Katina proceeded to reprimand me, beyond the point of anything, as I was doing nothing. Maybe she was afraid I would throw a snowball, but who knows? In any case, I resented her bitchy manner, and told her to shut up, because I like snow. She said, "Well, tough!" and we proceeded to argue. She would not leave me alone. Then she grabbed me. Now, I had been raised never to let strangers touch you, and though I superficially knew who Katina was, technically she was a stranger. In my hand, was my first grade book bag. It was in my right hand, and as Katina refused to let go, and I continued to struggle, I slowly hauled back my arm then moved forward and landed her a blow on her shoulder with my brief case. I don't think it really hurt; she let go, as she was more startled than hurt. My mother, for whatever reason, did NOTHING, and sort of defended Katina, asking if she wanted me to stay and go to the principal's office. Katina was too overcome after dealing with the likes of ME, who was SUPERIOR to HER.

Her brother, Harry, was in my grade, but in the dumb first grade class--ie; Mrs. Ellis. For several years afterwards, he would say to me "YOU hit MY sister with your briefcase." It must have been the talk of the Mataras household that night.

What did I do about it? For the remainder of that year, even though it meant an extra distanace, I REFUSED to cross at her corner or even speak to the bitch!!!!!
And I hope this gets back to Katina, because I want her to know  I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN THIS YET, and it was symptomatic of why the suburbs were unsuitable for me, and why she is still there on the wrong side of the tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think of that, girls?????? I feel so much better for having aired this!!! Meanwhile, time for me to get on with my weekend. Will keep you posted on everything girls, and don't forget to use that astringent now, loves!!!!!!!!

Kisses, everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

screwtheright said...

Was thinking of you today, my dear. And a trip to BLOOMFIELD, NJ?! Why, that's a 2 minute drive away from where I am almost every weekend now (and a 3 minute drive from where I grew up!). The wilds of New Jersey. I hope you made it home in one piece.

The Raving Queen said...

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the wilds of New Jersey, indeed. Thanks to the Bloomfield experience, I have made peace with Jersey its more eccentric qualities. Where did you grow up?
And yes, I made it home in one piece, though pretty late for me--
12:30 AM!!!!!!!!!

screwtheright said...

Phil Roth's 'nabe, the Weequahic section of Newark (till I was 8) then ratcheted up in class to dizzying heights ... Montclair.

The Raving Queen said...

How often I have read about that nabe in Roth's books--when I was reading them! Now, was that Montclair or Upper Montclair? I have very special memories of the Clairidge Theatre in Montclair, which was a HUGE theater back in the 60s. My family lived further south in Highland Park--which is the town I reference on this blog--
and a favorite aunt and uncle of mine lived near Montclair in Cedar Grove, which is how I knew the Clairidge--we often drove past it enroute.
But it was at the Clairidge that on February 25, 1968, I saw "Gone With The Wind" for the first time, and "Ben-Hur" there on June 22, 1969!!!!!!