Followers

Friday, April 27, 2012

Honestly, Girls, What Is It With Joan???????????????

                           Now, I absolutely love Joan Cusack.   I admire her comic skill and her acting ability, would love to work with her, and have never forgotten (as I have seen it many times) her season opener on "Law And Order SVU", which starts off  with a shot of her looking straight up from the bottom of a bathtub, and includes her classic, and the line I most often quote and act out, "Why doesn't anybody believe me?"

                             And you know I have always had the hots for her brother, John.  With him playing
Edgar Alan Poe in "The Raven," opening today, and it being about a serial killer--well, this was practically made for me!!!!!!!!!!

                               Nevertheless, I was disturbed by what I read this morning.  It seems that Gabourey Sidibe, the full figured, Oscar nominated star of "Precious" and other films, and now a regular on "The Big C",  was taken aback by Joan, several years back at a social function.  Miss Sidibe had not done "Precious" yet, but she was on the up and coming track. She was thrilled to meet Joan, who, like so many of us, is an idol, and was taken aback when Joan told her she should quit the business because it is "so image conscious."

                                 I certainly cannot argue with Joan.  She is right; Hollywood especially, less so than Broadway, is very image conscious.  But to disillusion a promising young artist????   And as for Joan herself, we love her, but the fact that she is no glamour puss, that there is a naturalness   to her, is precisely why we do!!!!!!!!!

                                 I am surprised at you, Joan!!!!!!!  Shame on you!  Bet Brother John would have something to say about that!  And, if you had thought things out carefully, you might have guessed that it is very likely Miss Sidibe will follow in the footsteps of other full figured gals, like ex-"Dreamgirls" Jennifers Holliday and Hudson, who, after their career breakthroughs, shed some of that weight, and, with Hudson visible constantly on Weight Washer commercials, not only does she look fantastic, she is probably the best spokesperson the organization had!  I never believed Fergie, anyway!!!!!!!!!!  I bet she was scarfing down ice cream sundaes!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               So, Joan may just live to eat her words.  And come to think of it, with Gabourey on "The Big C" right now, what is Joan doing, lately????  I cannot think of a thing since her memorable 'SVU' turn, and that is going on almost two years!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                Maybe Joan did not mean it the way it sounds.  But the way it reads is how it sounds. I credit Gabourey with being gracious enough not to diss Joan any more than she does in telling the story.

                                  Stick to what you do best, Joan, onstage or in front of the camera!  You are not a
career consultant!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   And my girls can always consult me, though they will never get such shoddy advice!!!!!!!!!

No comments: