Followers

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Day Queens Simply Cannot Ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              Girls, I simply cannot believe what I am about to tell you. Today is Liza Minnelli's birthday, and she turns 67! It seems like yesterday I was sitting in the Ziegfeld Theatre, dazzled by she and everyone else in the film version of "Cabaret."  You know I practiced being Sally Bowles, darlings!!!!!!!!!  And, to my credit, I think I could still get on the chair with the hat, scrunch down, and do that whole routine. Whereas, Liza........oh LIZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  With that weight gain and two hip replacements, I KNOW she could not recreate the cover photo, seen above.  The chair might break, and her hip bones might freeze!

                                                 Not to mention her voice.  It certainly isn't what it used to be during the "Cabaret" period, and it has been that way for a good many years.  Poor Liza, she still gets out there, screeching out "New York, New York," and whatever, and queens go wild, (especially those who were not old enough, unlike moi, to have seen her in her prime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) especially as the truly great Gay Icons begin to dwindle.

                                                      But we still have Liza with us, and I can think of two ways to celebrate her natal day. The first, and most obvious, is to watch "Cabaret."  The other is to watch the You Tube video,  "Shit Liza Minnelli Says," where Christine Pedi does such a dead on impersonation of Liza it is almost better than Liza herself. And the scene with Lady Gaga is a classic, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                         "Stop calling!  Stop calling!  I don't want to think any more./I left my heart on the dance floor!"

No comments: