Followers

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Girls, I Cannot Believe This Has Not Been Made Into A Movie!!!!!!!!!


                                  When "WAS" came out, in 1992, with my obsession with the MGM film of "The Wizard Of Oz," I read it immediately, identifying myself with Jonathan, the stricken AIDS patient, and his journey to the Oz Museum, in Liberal, Kansas!!!!!!!!!!  I had visions of myself playing Jonathan in the movie version, and that it should be (and should have been, and still should be) directed by none other than David Lynch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    To think, it has been 21 years since this novel appeared. And no film has ever been made from it.  And now, with "OZ, The Great And Powerful" opening tomorrow, I have to wonder why Ryman's book has never seen the light of the silver screen.

                                      It is three stories in one--Dorothy's purported, hard scrabble real life existence on that Kansas farm, capped off by abuse both physical and sexual from Uncle Henry; a mention of Judy Garland's experience in making the film that defined her; and Jonathan, an 'Oz' (but, like me, the movie) obsessed young man, dying of AIDS, who embarks on a road trip to the aforementioned Liberal, Kansas, and museum.

                                        First of all, as far as my generation is concerned, the MGM film cannot be equaled.  So, to even do this prequel is something of a blasphemy, as far as I am concerned.  I can't also help laughing; the filmmakers purport it is not a remake, and on some level they are right, yet, in homage to the MGM icon, the film opens in black and white/sepia for Kansas, and then goes to color for Oz.  Which would not have been, were it nor  for the 1939 film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         A film version of "WAS" could be the perfect vehicle, bridging all generations to things Oz associated.  It would get the MGM folk, the "Wicked" groupies and more!  I can't believe a film version has not been made.

                                            Especially, darlings, when you see some of the crap out there that DOES get made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

HarlowFan said...

I loved this book. I still remember the ending, with an aged Dorothy in a nursing home watching the film on TV. What an image!