Followers

Saturday, November 9, 2013

And I Thought Anti-Semitism Went Out, With "Gentleman's Agreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                              It's like the ad slogan for "Jaws," "Just when you thought it was safe..."

                                              I have zero tolerance for anti-Semitism.  Growing up in a town where the town's population was largely Jewish, it came as an initial shock to me, when I first  discovered that I was not.  And, for a brief time after that discovery, I wanted so much to be.  Jewish kids got to go to Hebrew school, and learn new words and symbols. I loved the smells coming out of our neighbors', the Friedeinrechs, house, when the windows were open, and I loved the sound of Mr. Friedenreich blowing the ram's horn!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             And now I have so many Jewish friends, not to mention my partner, my Life , who happens to be such!  And don't forget, I wanted to grow up and be Barbra Streisand  Whom we would never have had, were it not for Judaism!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              Now--today, darlings--comes word that, in the Pine Bush School district in upstate New York, Jewish students are having swastikas forcibly painted on their faces, one student being violently beaten, with a hockey stick, and another beaten about the head!!!!!!!!!!!

                                               What the hell gives here?????????????????

                                                 As in all cases of bullying, I say, look at  the bullies' parents!  Are they anti-Semites themselves?  Does the district have an overwhelming Christian population that makes the Jewish kids easy targets????  But why do the others want to target them?  Where is this coming from?  To stop the problem, you first have to stop the cause!

                                                 And here is something else to think about!!!!  When the Blacks are attacked, you know the Rev. Al Sharpton is right in there, speaking for the aggrieved community!!! Where are the Jewish leaders, who should be speaking out for these unfortunate children being attacked with prejudice??????  And, yes, BARBRA, that includes you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                 I say go after the attackers!  Make them read the great Jewish novelists--Saul Bellow, Isaac Bashevis Singer!  Even--so help me!!!--Philip Roth!!!  If that does not work, drive them all into a state of  depression with the Joan Didion Canon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                  Though I have to confess, darlings!  As much as I stand by "Gentleman's Agreement," for me, it was always about Dorothy McGuire, as Kathy Lacy, pouring the coffee, and Jane Wyatt, brilliant as her charmingly anti-Semitic sister, Jane, and her house in Darien, CT!!!!  I always wanted that house!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                   And I still do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             

No comments: