Followers

Monday, November 11, 2013

"The Other".....Then.....And Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   I first read Thomas Tryon's novel, "The Other," back in 1971, at the age of 16.  I actually read it on assignment for a Phase Elective English Class I was taking, called Popular Modern Fiction. The course turned out to be disappointing, because, instead of reading all types of modern fiction, we had to pick one genre, and read from that.  I chose the Supernatural, and it proved a fortuitous decision, for 1971 turned out to be not only the year of "The Other," but another book, which was even more successful--William Peter Blatty's "The Exorcist!"

                                 I could not imagine, as I began the Tryon book, the lifetime impact it would come to have on me.  Not being widely aware--how could I? I was only 16!!!!--I found the book's structure and narrative switching confusing.  When I finished "The Other," I knew I like it--I loved its lyrical, poetic style, the kind of book I wish I could have written--but I am not sure I got all of it.

                                   By the time the film version was released, in 1972, having been enraptured by that, I read the book again, and again.  Finally, I got it!  And when I got it--WOW!!!!!!

                                   No wonder this book impacted on me then!  It was all about loss and loneliness, and how both can wreak personal destruction upon the individual.  My adolescence, as I have said, was not the one that I wanted, or felt I should have had, so I felt sorry for, and identified with Niles Perry.  I can remember being so absorbed by the story (helped by the movie!!!!) that I attempted the Game!!!!  I remember trying it on objects, feeling it was working, very much like doing a Ouija board.  I never thought of doing it on people, because, first of all, I had not reached the irrational point (fortunately) that Niles had, and there was no one out there I wanted so badly to "become."

                                    Now, as for the movie, I vividly recall that first viewing, in its original run, at the Coronet Theatre.  It introduced me to some brand new actors--Uta Hagen, Diana Muldaur,  John Ritter,  and two boys from Westfield, New Jersey, whom I would interview that Fall  for my high school paper, Chris and Martin Udvarnoky.  In retrospect, to think this happened exactly 51 weeks since the John List murders, on November 2, 1972.  I shall never forget their graciousness, as well as their parents.  Chris tragically passed away three years ago, in October, at  the age of 49.  I have not been able to bring myself to watch the movie since.  

                                   The movie had the advantage of Robert Mulligan directing, so he was able to handle all the actors, most especially the boys, superbly.  To this day, there are few movies I can think of being perfectly cast, right down to the bit parts, that match "The Other."  Which, to me, is why a remake, often discussed, is to me inconceivable.

                                    Though, I will say this.  Even on that initial viewing, when I saw the opening shot, I was disappointed Tryon's framing device in the novel was not used.  It was the film's one mistake.  They tried to compensate with the final shot, but it can't compare to how Tryon opens and closes his novel..  With more viewing, and readings, I also came to wish something else had been added--the much needed discussion between Ada and Niles about Brunhilde riding into the fire, which, of courses, foreshadows Ada's
Climactic Act!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  "The Other" never left me, though I seemed to leave it, as Life took me about in many
unexpected directions.  My first reading had been a copy owned by a friend of my mother's, whom I called Aunt Jean, and who belonged to every book club there was.  Tryon's novel had been a Book Of The Month Club Selection!  I then owned my own Fawcett Crest paperback copy, which I wish I could say I still have, not only because of the Paul Bacon jacket, but because I had had it autographed by Chris and Martin Udvarnoky!!!!  Alas, it was lost in one of my moves!!!!  But now, sits a hard back edition, worth nothing in value, save that it has the original dust jacket!!!!!!!

                                   Like I said, I had  not consciously thought of "The Other" in years, but, several weeks ago, while waiting for Monsieur, while  perusing books in the Strand, I spied, out of the corner of my eye, a New York Review Books Classics Paperback, green in color, with the words "The Other," the name Thomas Tryon, and a boy who looked disturbingly like Chris Udvarnoky--only it wasn't--on the cover!  The book had been out of print for so long, I could not believe this was the same book I had known and loved.  But, when I read the back cover, I saw it unmistakably was!

                                      I was so stunned, I did not buy the copy then.  I bought it, several days later, at my home away from home, Three Lives Bookstore!!!!   I could not wait to read it again; it had been at least a decade!  Would it cast its spell on me again?????

                                       Not only did it, for the first time, I read it with complete understanding.  I saw how skillfully Tryon foreshadows everything, and I wish the film adaptation had not been so abbreviated,  so as to show townsfolk like Rose Halligan, and Miss Josceline- Marie!!!!!  I wish the confrontation between Ada and Niles had been filmed in a scarecrow occupied corn field, like in the novel, and I was reminded of how it was this book that inspired me to read--which I did twice--another book, which today I am sure is out of print--"Anthony Adverse," by Hervey Allen.

                                     My reading also, this time, answered for me, a question I had asked for years--if Holland had not died, would Niles have lost his sanity????  Holland already had; he was a born sociopath, a serial killer in the making, who would have made good on that promise, had he lived.  I always thought Niles would have stayed the sweet natured one he essentially is, might even have met death at the hands of Holland.  However, there was something I had forgotten!

                                     That was the incident, when Holland was still alive, and Niles, who was tremendously gifted at the Game, played it on Chanticleer, the Perry (that is the family's name) rooster, and farm mascot.  He projects himself into Chanticleer so much he starts duplicating his sounds and movements, until both are discovered atop the roof of the barn.  Even Holland is concerned here for his sibling!!!!  When Niles is brought down, and calmed, he says he not only wanted to become Chanticleer, he did not want to stop!

                                      Which made the story, for me, more tragic than it ever had been.  For I realize now, Niles was doomed from the very start.  There is a large streak of insanity in the Perry family, and it looks like it trickled down to both boys of that generation!!!!!  Though, if Ada hand not taught Niles the game????
Who knows????  But I am still convinced Niles was doomed!

                                      I also paid more attention to when the words "Babylon" and "Shadow Hills" appear. Are either of these names for the place that is surreptitiously referred to by family members, and which all my girls who know "The Other," know what I am talking about?  I came away this time, with "Shadow Hills" being the actual place's  name, and "Babylon" a symbolic reference to it as a stopping point; "the end of the line," as the novel says.

                                        I am sure I am not done with "The Other;" that I will read it again.  I suggest to all on here that you do.  Now that New York Review Books Classics has issued it, the novel is earning its place among a pantheon of literary authors such as Shirley Jackson, Henry James, Robert Louis Stevenson, and
Patricia Highsmith.  And deservedly so.  I also suggest you read Dan Chaon's afterword essay.  This is someone who truly understands "The Other," a kindred spirit.

                                        How unexpectedly the past comes back to us, darlings, and when we least expect it!  As Tryon remarks at the close of one of his climactic sections--

                                          "Truly, it was a revelation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


No comments: