Followers

Friday, January 5, 2018

Off And Running In 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                Having cracked the year with the first book, "Everything I Never Told You," I just finished my second, "Autumn," by Ali Smith.  It has its merits, but its first drawback is its having managed to land itself a place on The New York Times Ten Best Books Of 2017 List, and I, for one, cannot understand why.  The second drawback is it is the first of a Seasonal Quartet Smith is writing, which means I now have to read the whole thing.  And having just finished those damn Neapolitan Novels!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Smith's novel.  It abounds in florid technique, some of it almost written in verse.  It basically tells the story of Elisabeth Demand, and her relationship, from childhood to senility, with an older neighbor, a gay man of much knowledge, but a checkered professional past, named Daniel Gluck.

                                   The relationship that develops over time is beautiful and touching, and forms some of the best parts of this novel.  This is in direct contrast to Elisabeth's relationship with her mother, Wendy, a former Sixties child star, now down on her luck, and trying to regain it, but sometimes (and this may be debatable, but it was my impression) clandestinely working as a prostitute, to support herself, while keeping this from her daughter.  Who suspects, anyway.

                                   Wait till Wendy's old pal from show biz, Zoe, shows up!   Things get a bit lively, then, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      I question what the title refers to, because the only character who is really in his "Autumn" years is Daniel.  Maybe he is the sole representation of the season, and someone else will represent in the others in the succeeding novels.  Which I am now committed to reading.

                                      There is nothing I can say to discourage you from reading "Autumn;" nor should I.   I just don't understand those who wax rhapsodic about it.

                                        One thing I have to give Smith.  She can tell an encompassing story with remarkable brevity.

                                         Maybe that is her true gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: