Followers

Friday, March 16, 2018

Oh, My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will Celia Make It To Broadway?????????????????????


                                The minute I heard the news, months before, I suspected there would be trouble, and now there is.  Aaron Sorkin is planning to adapt "To Kill A Mockingbird" for the stage, and it is supposed to open, or at least commence performing, December 1.

                                 But. now, Harper Lee's estate is suing those behind the production, because Sorkin's adaptation deviates too much from the original story.

                                  Which does not surprise me a bit.  When I heard Celia Keenan-Bolger, whom I adore, was cast as "Scout," I said "Whaaaaaaaaa--!"  Is she going to play a child?  If anyone can do it, it would be Celia, but even on stage, wouldn't it come off as a bit awkward??????????

                                     That is when I began to suspect--and I am sure I am right--that Sorikin's  adaptation is combining the story we all know and love with the recent Lee work, "Go Set A Watchman."  There, Scout is an adult, and I could see Celia, playing that.   But the story overall does not stand up to 'Mockingbird,' so I am not sure what they are going for here.  And how will one get the recent work blended in with the story we know and love??????????

                                       God bless you, Celia, I am with you all the way, and will see what ever you do, but I wonder if the powers behind the throne had thought this out before commencing work on it?

                                        And why do artists think they can imprint their own stamp on something already done to such perfection?  I am talking about the 1962 film, directed by Robert Mulligan, written by Horton Foote, and with Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, and Robert Duvall.  Not to mention the haunting Elmer Bernstein score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         How does one improve on that?   Impossible!

                                          So, there is a dilemma. I adore Celia, and want to see her on the stage, but this may not be what I end up seeing her in.  I think Harper Lee's estate should shut the production down.

                                           She, and the 1962 film, have said it all.  Leave them be.


No comments: