Followers

Friday, September 29, 2023

An Open Message To The Broadway Company Of "Merrily We Roll Along--" The Raving Queen Is Coming! And You Had Better Be Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             Yes, girls, next Saturday, October 6, I see the first revival on Broadway of the musical "Merrily We Roll Along," since the original 1981 Broadway production, which I saw.



                              But the things I am worried about?  Will Beth deliver an impassioned "Not A Day Goes By," like she should?  Because the one I saw in the London production did not.  Will Daniel Radcliffe play Charley with a beard?  You had better not, Dan, dear, because Charley is the last vestige of innocence and integrity among the inhabitants of the show's world, and an innocent look is essential to portray the character.



                                  More important, how will Daniel handle something like "Franklin Shepard, Inc?"  Oh, my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Will Gussie be the more interesting character she has become over the years, rather than a venomous bitch?  And will the last fifteen minutes of the show break the hearts of those old enough to know the original, and are now the age, or older, of the characters in the opening scene?  When I was young, "Our Time" was just a gorgeous song.  It still is, but at the last 'Merrily' I saw, now I am of age, it just broke my heart.



                                     You have been warned, dolls!  That is Saturday, October 6, 2PM.  The Raving Queen will be watching.



                                       Step carefully, loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I always cry when I hear that song!!!
The EMOTION!!! It is Real.
Very curious to see what they do; some things do not Need to be “new & improved”

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
To be sure, I will give you a good report. In an interview about the show, one director said in rehearsal they tried to stage it chronologically--and it did not work. I had always been curious about that. To be sure, "Our Time" will have me in tears.