Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Darlings, "Miss Belle" Has Been Found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, for those of you who think television of an earlier age was more innocent---which to most extents, it was-- I offer "Miss Belle," which I first saw back in 1968, and which traumatized me so much I was amazed at how many of its details I recalled as I watched it last night on YouTube.

But first, some background.

It all began as a short story, entitled "Miss Gentilbelle," written sometime in the 50's by a man named Charles Beaumont, who went on to write episodes for Rod Serling's "The Twilight Zone," and who died an untimely death at age 38 from that disease that causes one to age rapidly. Just as horrific as that is that it is established there is an autobiographical context for "Miss Gentilbelle," Beaumont's childhood experiences mirrored that of the child in the story.

During the late 60's (about '68 or '69) there aired a British anthology series called "Journey To The Unknown." Basically, it was England's answer to "The Twilight Zone." It only lasted one season here, on ABC, but some of the episodes were quite powerful, this most especially. In retrospect, I am amazed my parents, who were in the room with me, allowed me to watch it.

Or that it got on the air. "Miss Belle" is essentially a detailed study of child abuse. Belle Weston (Barbara Jefford) is an embittered (but nevertheless wealthy) spinster, who is raising her deceased sister's child. Miss Belle has a pathological hated of all men, so she is raising her nephew as a niece. "Robert" is, therefore, "Roberta." A handyman (George Maharis) shows up to work on the place, and he discovers Miss Belle's secret, and a battle of wills ensues, with the child's welfare at stake.

In the intervening years, I have read the Beaumont story, and seen another dramatization, this one entitled "Ursula," in a series of short films called "Experiments In Terror." But, as of last night, "Miss Belle" remains, for me, definitive, not only having been exposed to it initially, but because the adaptation in some ways improves even upon the original story. In the Beammont work, no reason is given for Miss Belle's hatred of men and society. You get the impression, in all versions, she is not a lesbian, so that is not it. Perhaps it was being jilted? Or that she was too unattractive (read plain) to snare a man??????

Whatever, "Miss Belle" gives the character a credible motive. It is to the actors' credit they do not let this go over the top or campy, which makes it all the more disturbing. Although the kid playing "Roberta" reminded me alot of Johnny Whittaker on "Family Affair."

The week this was aired, the TV GUIDE described it as "a psychological drama of repression." Back in 1968, I did not even know what that meant. So, in retrospect, I cannot believe my parents let me watch this. I mean, they knew I was precocious, but THIS??????? If I had had children, (which would have been something, let me tell you!!!!) you can bet they would not be watching stuff like this!!!!! Strictly 'Song Of Bernadette' for them, loves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the taste and restraint exhibited, the horror and nastiness, and the unmistakably lurid conclusion of "Miss Belle" is clearly spelled out. Catch this one on YouTube before it vanishes.

And make sure you are impeccably dressed!!!!!!! Or Miss Belle will get you!!!!!!! And she is worse than Anna Wintour!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

PK Eiselt said...

Hey there, I also made a version of "Miss Gentilbelle" a few years ago, and it will be Screening this coming weekend at Bent-Con in Los Angeles

www.bent-con.org

Miss Gentilbelle
http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/151/

The Raving Queen said...


Dear P.K. Eiselt,
Just saw your film of "Miss Gentilbelle"
on You Tube. Wonderful. Who were the
actors? They were marvelous!

mike weber/fairportfan said...

"Naughty girl. Must be punished."

The Raving Queen said...


Yes, but Miss Gentilbelle got punished, but good! Heh! Heh! Heh!