Followers

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Group Free For All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Back in January, as I sobbed tremulously, with Monsieur beside me, as "The Song Of Bernadette" ended, he turned to me, when calm, and said, "You crazy Catholics!"

If he only knew the half of it!!!!!!!!!

The other night, after returning from the monthly meeting of my book group at the Gay and Lesbian Center, he said, "How can book people be so nuts? I thought they were quiet and reserved."

Sweetie, that went out with Donna Reed as the spinster librarian during the nightmare sequence of "It's A Wonderful Life."

Book lovers, like film buffs, are fanatics!!!!!! Not as bad as those Vicious Opera Queens, but they run a close second. If you criticize the Brontes or Jane Austen to some of us, be aware of attack!!!!!!! If you declare Jonathan Franzen is NOT a genius, well, there is just no hope.

Now, I have been a part of this book group for over 10 years. And while we have a steady array of stable regulars, every so often an odd lot sneaks in. But nothing to equal the other night!!!!!!!!!!!

We had uniformly gathered to discuss Edmund White's recent memoir, "City Boy." As a read, it was reasonably pleasing; as literary craft it left a lot of to be desired. I was certainly not the only one who felt this way. But one of our members, an attention-mad individual, named either Jack or Fred, who has been coming to group for seven months, and whose behavior has gotten progressively out of line, reached a culmination point last Thursday.

But let me start with some personal experience. On the other Thursday evenings, I volunteer at the Center Library. One eve last month, in walked this individual, and as soon as he recognized me, launched into a pontificatory attack about the group, saying we don't read books central to the gay community, that we should read "The Well Of Loneliness" (oh, brother, and give everyone a razor blade so they can slit themselves afterwards!!!!!!) and that--and this got me--the members of the book group have no literary background and are homophobic.

I had to take issue there. The group is a mixed lot of people; you get readers like me, who read tons of books a month, you get others for whom this is the only book they read that month. It has never hurt the quality of discussions. As for homophobia, in all my years attending, I have never encountered ONE person or incident I would deem such. And believe me, darlings, I would know!!!!!!!!! The very thought is ridiculous.

But this guy, Jack, set new records for even himself. He told us because we did not get down and acknowledge White as this great writer, we had not read the book, and were not part of the Gay Community. Excuse me??????? Then he asked us, "How many of you went to the Mineshaft?" as if we would not know what that was. Whom does he think he is talking to???? I had to bite my tongue; I wanted to fire back, "Well, I think as a member of the Gay Community, I opted to do more meaningful things than holing up in a skank hole doing degrading things." By the way, mamy of the crowd who were part of that scene are no longer with us--AIDS!!!!!! The fact that Jack is, is indeed fortunate for him, but, in tandem with his personality, that on his nights there, he was more an observer, as he could not have got much action!!!!!!!!!

There was no arguing with this guy. There was no ignoring him, either. If only I could have taken a bucket of water, and melted him, like the Witch of the West. Some of us were so incensed after the meeting, we went for coffee afterwards, and discussed how to extricate this boob from our presence. The rumor is out there that he one time belonged to the other gay male book group at the Center--but that he was kicked out of that. I am not surprised.

I am not going to ask why people like this exist. I am going to ask, why they do not take their meds. Oh, he also said bisexuality does NOT exist?????? Really???? Well, how about heterosexuality????? Does he think that because he does not practice it, there is no such thing. As my friend, Angela, once said, "there wouldn't be any gay people if it weren't for straight people!"

The racor just festered all evening. Twice, Julio, our leader, had to prevent me from leaping out of my chair, and going for him across the room. I doubt if anyone would have stopped me.

Why doenn't he just do what Brother Theodore did--rent a space, and then rant for two hours, to a captivve audience. The difference was, if you listened carefully to Brother Theodore--who was a New York institution for years-- you could detect some cohesiveness in his talk. With Jack, all you get is a diatribe on how only he is right about gay matters. Gimme a break!!!!!! If this guy were sixteen, I would chalk it up to youth and inexpereince. At sixty, I chalk it up to stupidity, and maybe a need to get laid. But with that hair, and that personality???? Forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was quite a free for all, kiddies. So stay tuned next month, because June may not be the only thing bustin' out all over!!!!!!!!!!!

Could it be time for a new book group????????????????????????

No comments: