Followers

Monday, September 12, 2011

Girls, I Generally Do Not Make Personal Appearances, But.......




.....if any of my girls wish to meet and greet the Raving Queen, then be in front of the Waverly Theatre in Greenwich Village, at six thirty, or thereabouts, where a time honored tradition will take place!!!!!!!

Yes, darlings, we have made it to another September 12. And what so many on here know, that means it is "Frank Mills Day." Since 1978 (2001 being the only year omitted, for obvious reasons!!!) I have been convening in said location and singing that song from "HAIR" in honor of the show, the day, the Waverly, and, of course, Shelley Plimpton (Martha's mother), who immortalized the song in the original.

I did my vocalizing this morning, and am ready. In past years, I have had people stare at me incredulously, but the best was when the wino looked at me and threw away his bottle. I probably reformed him, and now he is a Wall Street CEO!!!!!!!!

If only my friend, Angela, could be there to share the triumph with me. But, alas, she is in Alaska!!!!!! Nevertheless, tradition and continuity will be maintained tonight, and if you want to meet and greet, or get an autograph, I will be more than happy to accommodate!!!!!

See you tonight at the Waverly, dolls!!!!!!

PS--The Waverly is now the IFC. But to those of us of a Certain Age, it
will ALWAYS be the Waverly!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Skyler said...

I love that there is someone else besides me who remembered FRANK MILLS day, Sept. 12. I had posted it on Facebook yesterday and all my FB friends were amazed that I noticed the song's date receiving lots of comments. I don't stand in front of the Waverly, although sounds like fun, I sang FRANK MILLS in Monstah and Marie's as I always do. One of the hardest songs to remember the lyrics - as it's a personal ad w/ absolutely no rhymes. Sometimes when I'm in a playful mood, I replace Brooklyn in "he lives in Brooklyn somewhere" w/ Park Slope, Great Neck, or Dix Hills. Glad to know that there's someone who remembers Sept. 12. There are very few musicals where a song names a specific date. The 2 I can think of are both Alan J. Lerner: May 20th is Eliza Doolittle day in My Fair Lady and Winter exits March the 2nd on the dot in Camelot. Let me know if u think of other dates!
Skyler

The Raving Queen said...

Skyler--

I am also glad someone remembers the importance of this day! As for May 20--ah, yes, Liza Doolittle day! How could I forget? I had a friend, now deceased, whose birthday that was, so I never forgot it. Will keep my ears glued for other "musical theater" dates! I am sure they are out there!