Followers

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Anyone Remember A Short Story Called "Run, Sheep, Run???????"


                                      Long before the word "bullying" went household, there was a short story that said it all--"Run, Sheep, Run" by Rosemary Howland.  It has probably been around longer than I have; I first read it in seventh grade, in a magazine we got in English class called READ.  I can still recall passages from it, but the plot is really simple.

                                      Mattie Babcock is the new girl in school, the school being Edison High. She is neither attractive, nor unattractive, but described as "lankily tall, and big boned."  In some ways, Mattie is admirable. She approaches her new experience with an upbeat confidence. Her downfall is that this confidence operates in tandem with a social naivete that leads to her being hurt.

                                        The first mistake Mattie makes, and it is never made clear if she did this intentionally, as though aware of who these students were, is plunking down her lunch tray at the table where the most popular group is seated.  They treat Mattie with some amazement, and are amazed by her confidence and naivete.  As one of the girls, Carol Deering, says to the story's narrator, Nancy Martin (think Sue Snell in "Carrie"), "I hope she hasn't adopted us. Something tells me she would be hard to get rid of." Which turns out to be true.

                                         One of the boys in this crowd is named Rick, and Mattie cannot help developing a crush on him.  As confident as she is everywhere else, around Rick she is tongue tied. Ah, love!!!!!!  The trouble is, storm clouds are gathering.

                                           No one is impolite to Maggie's face  But, behind her back, they comment, and make fun of her, especially her crush on Rick.  He starts referring to her, jokingly, as "my girl, Mattie."  And then along comes the Senior Dance.

                                            The popular couples who are going are posted on a list in the main hall, for all to see.  Someone gets the bright idea--and it is just a joke--of putting up Mattie and Rick's name as a couple. As one of them says, "It would be the joke of the year!"  And so the names are posted, and remain up for awhile.  Rick says to a happy, blushing, Mattie, "Well, it looks like we are a couple."

                                              But, suddenly, Nancy does not feel right about this. She is caught in a quandary. Should she tell Maggie the truth, or shouldn't she?  If she does, she risks losing her social status in the crowd.  She describes this mental picture she has in her head of an excited Mattie and her mother buying a dress for the dance, fitting it, talking about it, planning, and she feels she wants to tell Mattie the truth. But she does not.

                                                Days later, the names of Rick and Carol Deering (whom he intended going with) are posted.  Mattie is devastated, and in a heartrending scene, she says to Nancy, the one who has been kindest to her of  them all, "You could have told me, couldn't you?"  And she is right.

                                                   The story ends with Mattie transformed from the happy, confident girl when she first arrived, to a sad, withdrawn figure, who skulks silently through the halls, and does not talk to anybody.  Nancy feels saddened by this, knowing somehow she and her crowd caused this.  Yet, she can't quite bring herself to make amends. The story ends, with Nancy asking the reader, "I was right, wasn't I?"

                                                    I was younger than Mattie when I first read this, but I felt I knew what she was going through.  In some ways, it did echo my experience.  Nothing like this was ever played on me, but I could see it being done, and I could have (and still could) tell you by whom.  The story made me identify with Mattie.

                                                     But it also made me look at Nancy's side.  I decided, if faced with a situation, I would not take the coward's out, as did Nancy, but would try and help someone in trouble.  I still feel that way today.

                                                       Teachers, I am sure, have used this in English classes. One thing they ask is if Nancy has changed by the end.  I really don't think so. She is questioning, and I think she will question her culpability in the face of the tragic results. But I don't see her ever reaching a point in this period of her life where she takes a stand.

                                                          Any of my girls out there remember this story?  If so, let me know, especially if you know where I might find this today.

                                                           And for any out there feeling like Mattie, just remember--you are
better than your oppressors!!!!!!!!! Which is why they oppress you!

                                                             Smack those bitches, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I taught English for 24 years and had most of my students read that story which was in an anthology collection published around 1970. I salvaged those anthology books out of the garbage in 1987 when I began teaching and used them until I retired. I still have a copy of the book and the story in it. If I recall correctly, the story was written in the 1950s. The title "Run Sheep, Run" was taken from a board game invented in the 1930s. I'm glad to have found someone else who admires that story. Wm. Longyard, Winston-Salem, NC longyard@ix.netcom.com

The Raving Queen said...

Mr. Longyard,

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I suppose
the story was used in English classes,, but a
board game from the 1930s? Now, I will have
to research that; fascinating!
I never forgot that story. And I will be
61 next month. Things weren't as bad as they are today
but I do know what Mattie went through. And also wondered
how many girls in my class might actually have been Mattie?
Feel free to drop in here, anytime.