Followers

Friday, May 31, 2013

Just Another Slice Of Little Old New York, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                          As long as it exists, writers will not stop chronicling New York, and now Lyndsay Faye, an author hitherto unknown to me, has caught my attention, with her novel, "The Gods of Gotham."  The cover caught my eye in a bookstore, and when I picked it up, and read the back, I discovered it had all the elements to press MY buttons--turn-of-the-century Manhattan and a serial killer--I just had to read it.

                                         Readers, in fact, darlings, may feel it owes a debt to Caleb Carr and "The Alienist," still the Gold Standard for books in this genre.  But Lyndsay and 'Gods' are both worthy additions, even if she seems to cram too much into one novel.  Without giving things away, I will say I had the solution figured out halfway; there IS a killer, but other things are thrown into the mix, suggesting maybe she was trying to cram too much into one story.

                                           This does not stop it from being well written. The final hundred pages are as nail biting and unputdownable as one could ask.  And it is good to know this is the start of a series, for Timothy Wilde, his brother, Valentine, Miss Mercy Underhill, even diabolical Madam Silkie Marsh are fascinating characters, and, in subsequent novels, (I know there is at least ONE more) I certainly hope she brings them ALL back!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             I had so much fun with this, girls, I almost gave up watching my Investigation Discovery shows!!!!!!!!  And, as my beloved Monsieur will tell you, that is quite an accomplishment!  I cannot wait to get back to more of Lyndsay Faye, and I am telling you all to start reading her now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             And to Hell with "Fifty Shades Of Grey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

HarlowFan said...

I loved this as well, but didn't realize there would be a series of novels! Love that wicked Silkie Marsh!

The Raving Queen said...


The book she wrote prior to 'Gods', which I have never read, but plan to, is yet another look on the idea of Sherlock Holmes being pitted against Jack The Ripper! I can't wait!