Followers

Monday, April 12, 2010

Darlings, How I Want To Fly Out That Nursery Window!!!!!!

Girls, I cannot tell you how emotional this weekend was. First, I ventured out to the scenic splendors of Ironbound, Newark, New Jersey, where Tom, my cherub, and I had a fabulous meal at a charming neighborhood Portugese restaurant. Darlings, I am sure if the Fatima kids were in town, they would dine here! Then off we went to NJPAC (New Jersey Perorming Arts Center0 which, to this New Yorker, felt like being at the Met. I mean, sweethearts, the architecture was practically the same. We were there to see Patti Lupone's concert program "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda", songs she has done, wanted to do, wished she had done. Patti was--what else--Patti! The evening alone was worth it just to hear "Meadowlark" sung onstage. It brought tears to my eyes and tremors to my heart, and I am sure I was not alone. Of course, every queen on this side of Hudson paddled over to Newark for this experience, but did any of them sit near me? Did I meet anyone? Are you kidding?

Now, in this show Patti also sang "Never Never Land" from "Peter Pan." The next morning, I knew I had to be up and about, for the Memorial Service for my friend, David Semonin, who died two months before. Imagine my reaction when the back of the program contained the lyrics to the aforementioned song, which we all sang at the end of the service. How I got through it, I do not know. But I AM a trouper!!!!!!!!
And it WAS for David.

This morning, girls, I am a mess, as the painful actuality of David's passing sinks in, and I catalog all those who have gone before me. Now I am sure I will perk up at some point, darlings--maybe a new gown, or maybe a weeknight visit to Manducatis or a Bloody Mary--but right now I am not at my perkiest. Is it any wonder I am disgusted with Match.com? Who are all these jerks who THINK they are athletic and toned? Give me a break. Can they do the Donna McKechnie stuff I do? Can they fall back as far as I? I don't think so, darlings!!!!!!

You just better watch out. I may be in some bistro in the near future doing "Meadowlark" myself; I have always wanted to tackle it, and with work I know I can. And of course I will do "Frank Mills." What would Shellley think if I didn't? Or Martha, for that matter.

Let me know what you think, darlings. But as I told David towards the end, I am like Brooke, and I intend to survive. But no one said it was easy!!!

Have a drink for me, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: