Followers

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"Oh, No, No, Not Mrs. Primrose! Oh, Yes, Yes, Yes, Mrs. Primrose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                          Ah, youth.  It seems like only yesterday I was seated in Orchestra Center of the St, James Theatre, back in 1978, seeing the latest musical of the season--something called "On The Twentieth Century," directed by Harold Prince, set design by Robin Wagner, with a dream cast--John Cullum, Madeline Kahn, Imogene Coca, Kevin Kline, and a minor figure who would become important to the show named Judy Kaye.

                            When the house lights went down, the orchestra struck up those opening notes, and the art deco sign "20th Century Limited" arose from beneath the stage, I knew I had gone to Musical Theater Heaven.  I sobbed and swooned over "Our Private World;" for months afterward, I would play the cast album, dancing all through the house, (I was still living with my parents!!!!!!!!!) singing, "Make way for Ba-Ba-bette!  The darling of the Mayfair set!"  I did not even know what the Mayfair set was, back then, but I knew I wanted to be it!  The score was luscious, as was the production, and while it is not one of my all-time faves I recall it more vividly than many shows of that time.

                             Well, girls, can you believe it is 37 years later? Back in 1978, I was 23 and now I am 60.  My beloved's favorite show happens to be "On The Twentieth Century," and since it is being revived for the first time since 1978 (not even ENCORES! has touched it!) off we went to the American Airlines Theatre to rekindle its magic.

                                  For those--like both of us--who had seen the Original--nothing will surpass that production and cast.  My expectations were not that high, and maybe because of that, I was pleasantly surprised.  It was so refreshing to hear a lush score sung beautifully, crack comic timing both in speech and movement, and a dream cast for the day--Peter Gallagher, Kristin Chenoweth, Mark Linn-Baker, Michael McGrath, Andy Karl, and Mary Louise Wilson!  The casting was superb.

                                   And yes, I still swooned and sobbed to "Our Private World," was enraptured by the title tune, and "Life Is Like A Train" and had my memories aroused by individual phrases from the "She's A Nut" number, not to mention "five zeros, preceded by a two!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                    They don't write them like this, anymore!  How sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     But how grateful I was, this time, to have my beloved beside me, holding my hand, as we both swooned to "Our Private World."  I have to confess that I was so taken in by the whole thing that, when the time came for Mrs. Primrose to do her cartwheels across the stage, I actually believed it was Mary Louise Wilson, at the ripe old age of 83, doing them.

                                        This is an evening of sheer Musical Theater Magic. But I have to advise you carefully--see the show ASAP, because I am not sure how long Peter Gallagher and Kristin Chenonweth's voices will hold out.  Peter had been out most of last week, and we were lucky to see him on Sunday. As for Kristin, she had such comic timing, I thought she was channeling Madeline Kahn herself!  And she hits all the right notes, though, especially in Act Two, I noticed her wheezing, and at certain points in the staging, where liquid is present, taking drinks here and there!

                                         So, hurry on board, if  you want to see "On The Twentieth Century." There is nothing on Broadway now like it, sadly because there are no longer shows like this written, or composers to write them!

                                   And, yes, Mrs. Primrose's classic pose from the original is superbly duplicated!
And she is still a real religious nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: